Recommendations on small practise bass amp

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

moultrup

Recommendations on small practise bass amp

Post by moultrup »

I currently have a Fender Bassman 25 which works very well and sounds better than it size and power would suggest. Problem is that it is very heavy and i am looking at something smaller, lighter in weight. I have been looking at the Micromark and Micromark 801. REviews are strong but price is very high and not much on the resale market to choose from. Thoughts on this amp and a good place other than Ebay to find a used model. Thanks
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Recommendations on small practise bass amp

Post by jps »

Go for a Minimark, a bit pricier, but very much worth it in the long run. 8) Here is a quick shot of mine with my former July '73 4001.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I had the micromark (the earlier 6" one),and was pretty amazed at what it could do. The newer one is still 50 watts,but with an 8" speaker. I think its about 1/2 the cost of the minimark. If you are going to need it for band practice with either a loud drummer,or loud guitarists,the minimark would be the way to go.....OR, you could get the cmd121p 12" combo for the same price. (with even more power and still supremely portable) That is what i'm using,and its great!
Ps you dont mention what the Fender amp weighs,the cmd121p is 29 lbs.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The Minimark is 20 lbs. Nyah nyah! :mrgreen: In fact, the Minimark and the 4001 together is lighter in weight. 8)
moultrup

Post by moultrup »

My Fender Bassman 25 weighs about 33lbs, feels heavier and has much more power than i need for a small practice amp. Just went and tested the Markbass Micromark and was very impressed. At 9 lbs and 50 w it is a good alternative. Markbass is now selling the better version of this called the Micromark 810 which ups the speaker from 6" to 8" and the same power but all reviews say it is night a day improvement. The cost of these is in the $475-499 range so not cheap but very well built and a big sound for this little package ie 10.5" x 10.5" x 10.3". Will get the 810 in mid April as they are on back order. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Attachments
1966 Rickenbacker 4005 Mapleglo.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

moultrup wrote:...Will get the 810 in mid April as they are on back order. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
This doesn't look like a small, light weight combo amp! :shock:
moultrup

Post by moultrup »

The MM 810 weighs in at 11lbs. Compared to my FB25 at 34 lbs a big improvement.
Attachments
1966 Rickenbacker 4005 Mapleglo.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

moultrup wrote:The MM 810 weighs in at 11lbs. Compared to my FB25 at 34 lbs a big improvement.
Ah, you mean the 801? Yeah, nice and small and very light, too. 8)
guitarist09

Post by guitarist09 »

thank you for you recommendations guys! :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”