Odball Model 59 Amp .. I think

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

T-dub

Odball Model 59 Amp .. I think

Post by T-dub »

Greetings all..I'd been searching through this site and the registry to find info on this .. what I believe to be .. Rick amp. It came with a Model 59 Rick lap steel from '37. By the appearance of the internals, this seems to be a Model 59 amp, but I've not seen one with this case: wood covered with a herringbone vinyl-type material. The transformer is an INCA brand from LA, speaker is stamped 7808, the magnet/coil is stamped both F234 and M198X (this M number is found on a few in the registry). The tubes appear to be original, but the amp makes a loud hum when plugged in, so I'm not sure if they all function.
I figure the guitar is a '37 so I'm thinking this amp is, too, but I've not seen photos on the web of this incarnation. Any catalog info? Any input from the forum? ..thanks, Tom

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Odball Model 59 Amp .. I think

Post by libratune »

Tom, my best guess is that your amp is a version of the first Rick amp, "The Speaker," with a changed cabinet. There are a few of these depicted on the Register: http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=

The tube and tranny layout of your amp is similar to the photos of The Speaker on the Register, except the tranny is on the other side. I do see your point about the Model 59. There is a Model 59 amp depicted on the Register with the speaker having the same number as yours. And the Model 59 generally has the tranny on the right, as does yours.

A measurement of the chassis of your amp would help, as The Speaker chassis was somewhat wider than that of the Model 59.
T-dub

Re: Odball Model 59 Amp .. I think

Post by T-dub »

Hummm, the cab measures 12 x 8 3/8 inside measure, with the case walls 1/4" thick. So the metal chassis would measure 12" wide. After looking at photos in the Registry, I don't see any similarities w/ the Speaker amp, but my eyes aren't really that tuned in to old amps. My guess (this set came from the original owner) is the amp was unchanged over its life, except I think the power cord was updated in the last 40 yrs or so. I wonder what was shown in the old catalogs of the 30s? ..thanks for the input, Tom

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”