My Transonic...

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sartana

My Transonic...

Post by Sartana »

I was able to acquire this around a year ago from Craigslist. I will post pictures as I make progress, but here is the picture from the ad....and the way I found it:

I have redone the grill cloth. The original material is not to be had, so I came up with a replacement that I like:

Based on photos I have seen, the black with silver sparkle is actually quite close to the original prototype. I hope to post some more pictures soon.
8mileshigher

My Transonic...

Post by 8mileshigher »

James, that's real cool ! Congratulations ! 8)
You'll have to bring that baby to one of our Southern California Ric Jam sessions/ Confluences ....
fabandgear

Re: My Transonic...

Post by fabandgear »

I NEVER get tired of seeing Transonics! That's a great substitute grille cloth. What size speakers are loaded in your cabinet?
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

8mileshigher wrote:James, that's real cool ! Congratulations ! 8)
You'll have to bring that baby to one of our Southern California Ric Jam sessions/ Confluences ....
Well, I do plan on using this for gigs. It is not trailer queen (to mix in some vintage car lingo). And, as it turns out, I am in Southern California!
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

fabandgear wrote:I NEVER get tired of seeing Transonics! That's a great substitute grille cloth. What size speakers are loaded in your cabinet?

Well, originally, it was a 15 with a pair of 12's. As I will be using it for bass, I kept the 12's but added an 18. Again, I will post more pics soon. Let's just say, this thing 'moves some air'! And to think, it is not even for a rock band application..... :D
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Sartana wrote:I have redone the grill cloth. The original material is not to be had, so I came up with a replacement that I like:
In fact, I had a large roll of this material in my locked cage in the corner of the warehouse. My wife got in there, thought it was ugly and useless, and had the guys put it in the dumpster, along with some other good schtuff.

There were probably a dozen different proposed grill materials, so it might be a bit misleading to say "original prototype" but I agree there were some similar sparkle materials previewed.
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

You know, if someone was really ambitious, they could take standard black grille cloth, an embroidery needle and some purple and green yarn and recreate the pattern. Of course you'd have to have plenty of time on your hands! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
RickTransGrillecloth.jpg
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

johnhall wrote:
Sartana wrote:I have redone the grill cloth. The original material is not to be had, so I came up with a replacement that I like:
In fact, I had a large roll of this material in my locked cage in the corner of the warehouse. My wife got in there, thought it was ugly and useless, and had the guys put it in the dumpster, along with some other good schtuff.

There were probably a dozen different proposed grill materials, so it might be a bit misleading to say "original prototype" but I agree there were some similar sparkle materials previewed.
Sorry to hear about that loss! Stories like that never fail to hurt ones heart... :cry:

And yes, I was being a bit broad with my calling it the "original prototype". I had just seen a photo that Bob Risson (the designer) had from the NAMM show and noted that there was one that had a similar grill cloth to what I had located. Actually, I am wondering if in that photo, the Rickenbacker Transonic slash that is across the front was actually black...with white lettering. Mmmmm....... I believe there was also one done up with light brown tolex and brown (?) grill cloth.
collin

Post by collin »

Great Transonic James, congrats.

I really gotta get one of these sometime....too cool. 8)
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Nice choice on the grill cloth, great find and congrats!
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

I wonder if the original patterned grille cloth could be replicated? I could turn out to be cost-prohibitive unless enough Transonic owners were to club up, but might be worth looking into.
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

That would be an idea. Honestly, from the other ones I have seen out there, most seem to have good grill cloth. In that regard, I guess I drew the short straw.

I do have some progress to report. I have been having the cart made (yes, short straw there as well). Have the 1" square tubing bent. Now having final assembly done. I make it a lot nicer to move around. I will be posting updates here.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”