Vintage Rickenbacker Electro (M-12) - w/ AUDIO

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

meatwolf

Vintage Rickenbacker Electro (M-12) - w/ AUDIO

Post by meatwolf »

I was fortune enough to pick this up last weekend when it popped up on my local Craigslist. Unfortunately, other than that it sounds pretty amazing, I know very little about it and can't seem to locate much information online. I hope I've come to the right place :) I was wondering if anyone on here might be able to give me a date range, a wattage estimate, or where the serial number is typically located on these amps. It gets pretty loud and breaks up pretty quickly. There is a 12" Oxford speaker in the cabinet and the control plate reads "Model M-12 For 115V 50-60 Cycles AC Only .095 Amps." There are 3 inputs (Microphone, Instrument, and Instrument) and the 4th knob is a tone control. On the amp plate that houses the tubes inside, very faintly the word "sample" seems to have been written in pencil a very long time ago. Most of the M-12s I've seen online have the "R" in the grill and a little Rickenbacker plate tacked to the upper left corner above the grill cloth. There is no evidence that this plate was ever on this cabinet. I've uploaded a short track of me playing through this amp incase you're interested. It was recorded with my iPhone so the quality isn't the best, but you can hear the nice warm tone this amp has to offer. I'm using a MIM-strat with Fender CS Fat 50s on the neck setting. For the first half of the recording I have the amp set on 6-7 so it breaks up nicely. For the second half I dropped the volume to 2-3 so it's a little cleaner. The tone is set to about 70% bass the whole time. I'm hoping to get to be able to do a proper demo soon as there aren't too many out there from what I can tell. I also would like to apologize for the poor quality of the photos.

Anyway, any information anyone can supply would be greatly appreciated.

The short recording....

http://joshuagragg.com/rickenbacker-ele ... tro_01.mp3
milo
Veteran RRF member

Re: Vintage Rickenbacker Electro (M-12) - w/ AUDIO

Post by milo »

Nice amp and nice clips.

I picked up an early M-11 over the summer that I just got up and running other than the broken cabinet. Mine doesn't get as dirty as yours does, at least not with an efficient speaker and single coils.

Here are a couple pics of mine. I've since made a back panel which was missing and is supposed to mount the chassis with the knobs facing up. I need to get the speaker reconed because at this point I haven't found another 12" that will clear the tubes. It's easier to leave the broken top off at this point in time so I can see the clearance issues to the speaker.

URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/user/milocj/ ... 9.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”