B-9A amplifier

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wkuhns

B-9A amplifier

Post by wkuhns »

I recently discovered and bought an old Ricky amp at Guitar Center here in SoCal. I believe it to be a silver tolex 1965 B-9A model, but there's really not much info on the web nor the amp itself to confirm. It was hidden behind other amps, as if a salesman was hiding it for himself. I can see why, it's a cool little unit. I've since cleaned it up, without compromising originality. It seems to have the original RCA tubes and Jensen Special (12") speaker intact. Everything works well even the Tremolo. Can anyone point me towards more info online? Also, can someone please explain how to post pictures and/or a sound clip on this site, so I can share my find? THX

Wally Kuhns
Encinitas, CA
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: B-9A amplifier

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome, Wally! It's good to see another "neighbor" here (I live up the 5 in Santa Ana). 8) :)

There are 13 B-9A amps in the Rickenbacker Register (see link in upper right of screen), but seven of those are Electro, not Rickenbacker. Literature on these is hard to find.

Here is a thread on posting pictures:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=409020

I don't know about soundbites, but there is a section, "Recordings By RRF Members":

viewforum.php?f=48

So that might be a good place to post that question.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
8mileshigher

B-9A amplifier

Post by 8mileshigher »

Welcome aboard the RRF, Wally ! :)
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Welcome Wally!

I have a '60s silver tolex B-9A amp: http://www.ronsvintage.com/B-9A%201965.htm

And one built a bit later in black tolex: http://www.ronsvintage.com/B-9A%201965_2.htm

With the proper 12" speaker it is a great little amp, much like the Fender Deluxe of its time.

The odd thing about the Rickenbacker B-9A amp is that the model number is not shown on the control panel, same as for the predecessor gray-coverd M-9 amps (without tremelo).
alcapurrias

Post by alcapurrias »

I'm not too familiar with the B-9A Rick amp, but I was also able to come across one, all-original (and very sweet) 1964 Rickenbacker E12. The surprising part is that I played it back-to-back, outdoors, with my 15-watt 1964 Princeton. I was trying to to an SRV thing by running both amps together. The Rick is supposed to be about 8 - 10 watts. It was so loud that I couldn't use it with the Princeton.

Previously, I took my amp to Carp Amps in Ontario, CA. This guy "gets it" and did his best to keep it in original shape, even if it meant that the amp wouldn't be as pretty. He went for functionality and kept as much "mojo" (his words) as he could. The original Blue Label Jensen cone amp is a monster! It is the only speaker that improves the sound of the amp itself. That is why original 10" speakers sell for $600+ each on eBay.

Now, my only question is: Where can I find one of those extremely-cool acrylic handles? It's got to be one of the coolest features I've ever seen on an amp, besides silver tolex.

In the meantime, here's a link to my video. I had just gotten the amp back from Carp amps. Keep in mind: I am using NO EFFECTS and NO REVERB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6vdvUXlWmU

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”