B16 Supersonic - where's the rectifier?

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

roberttx

B16 Supersonic - where's the rectifier?

Post by roberttx »

Hi folks

I'm new here and hoping to ask for a little help. I have a B16 chassis (and only the chassis) that looks a lot like this one in the register (I'll try to get some actual pics of mine uploaded, when I have a mo).

Now, the schematic calls for a 5AR4 rectifier, but there's nowhere on the chassis for one to go. I've seen variants with a separate power supply, but mine has the PT & filter caps on the main chassis and I have a hard time imagining a separate chassis with just a rectifier on it.

I've also, in going through the threads here, seen references to a variant with a solid state rectifier - but I can't find a Selenium rectifier or any diodes on mine - just resistors & capacitors.

So, I'm stumped! I realise that it's hard to comment without pics of the actual thing and will rectify (no pun intended) that as soon as I can, but does anybody have any thoughts at this stage, please?
johnhall
RIC

Re: B16 Supersonic - where's the rectifier?

Post by johnhall »

So, why not follow the secondary leads of the transformer back?

I'm not going to unmount the chassis of the twin I have to the one above but I'll bet there's a selenium stack mounted on the chassis or at least a couple of big diodes on the wiring board.
roberttx

Re: B16 Supersonic - where's the rectifier?

Post by roberttx »

You were dead right, John - pair of 1N2071s, to be precise, right next to the filter caps (where I should have looked closely in the first place).

In my defence, I was expecting to find a Selenium stack, during my first cursory inspection, which explains why I overlooked the diodes.
P865f-small.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”