M8E loudspeaker impedance?

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Pentti Saares

M8E loudspeaker impedance?

Post by Pentti Saares »

Hello, everybody!
Last week I purchased Rickenbacker B9A amp from 1965 and it sounds wonderful! Because I want to play stereo I wanted another Rickenbacker amp. I was lucky to spot M8E (maybe 1966) in Spanish ebay (I live in Finland) which I bought and it was delivered to me today. Loudspeaker was not original and broken. I want to replace it with Jensen Alnico 8", but problem is I don't know what impedance should I choose. Schematics don't give any clue. Please, if anybody knows the answer, let me know!
Pentti Saares

Re: M8E loudspeaker impedance?

Post by Pentti Saares »

I withdraw my question. It's impossible to answer, because the OT might be non-original. I'm taking this M8E to my amp wizard to get measured. Meanwhile I installed new Jensen 8" Alnico 4 ohms loudspeaker to it and very carefully did some testing. The thing sings like a bird!! And Rick-O-Sound testing with my B9A really blew my mind. Good heavens! Geez, I hope they'd start make amps again some day....
Pentti Saares

Post by Pentti Saares »

Hello, again!

My M8E has now been measured. OT is original and loudspeaker impedance is 8 ohms. New Jensen 8" alnico is installed and what a beautiful combo this is. Sound is loud, clear, strong and beautiful! For me M8E was a compromice, because I really wanted to have an older M8 model with a 6AV6 preamp tube and smaller cab. Now I'm very happy with my more "modern" version. I think larger cab means a lot considering sound produced. These things are excellent working amps, cool looking and very easy to repair.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Very cool! Welcome and thanks for sharing!

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”