My Goodness It's Hot

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

admin
Site Admin

My Goodness It's Hot

Post by admin »

I've just come to the place where I don't like 30C above or 30C below. :shock: Humidex approaching 40C today. Our record low for this date is 2C!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: My Goodness It's Hot

Post by jimk »

It's 34.6C here, Peter. I'll take anything from 30C in summer to -4 or -5C in winter anytime.
JimK
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Ahh...a play on the "Man It's Hot!" threads of 2010-12 ('12 never caught on :P ).

It's 84 degrees Fahrenheit where I'm at. It's actually the coolest it's been in a while. :shock:
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Enjoy it. In a few decades this will seem downright brisk.

In the past 27 years, there has never been a colder-than-average month globally.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

admin wrote:I've just come to the place where I don't like 30C above or 30C below. :shock: Humidex approaching 40C today. Our record low for this date is 2C!
Lord, if I'm doing this correctly that is approaching 104F! I was in Newfoundland last August and it was 35C and that was really steamy.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Twas a great weekend to spend floating in the lake. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Hit #8C with the humidex both yesterday and today, and I just floated and watched my tootsies poke out above the water...

What a shame work takes over again tomorrow morning.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

OK, what's a "humidex" ??? Obviously something to do with humidity, but it's a term I've never heard before...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Humidex values are a qualitative way of indicating what the temperature "feels" like, based on actual temperature and relative humidity levels. Today, for example, in Montreal it was 29C on the thermometer, and 63% relative humidity. This combination makes you feel similar to a day with 38C on the thermometer and less than 20% RH.

These humidex numbers are relevant in climates where humidity is high on a regular basis. Like the St Lawrence River Valley from June to the end of September, or Atlantic Canada and New England over the summer.

At least that is how it is explained to me. It really means everything sticks to you and you feel like you are in a pizza oven.
...Dean

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

...Dean

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That would be our equivalent to Heat Index.

http://weather.unisys.com/forecast.php?Name=KCLE
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Ah, OK, I figured it was something like that. Nobody talks about that sort of thing around here, it's rarely over 32C here and even rarer that the humidity is over about 20%. We did get up to about 37C one day last week though.

I do remember that gawd awful humidity when I was in college in Indiana, but that was way before they had come up with fancy things like heat indexes and wind chill and such. Heck, they'd barely figured out how to measure the temperature...
:roll: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Wind chill is probably something they talk about in Montana, I would think. I could see no heat index as that does really involve some real humidity; with what you have you most likely need to be adding water to your air to be comfortable, certainly for guitars and such.

A couple years ago in late April I was out in Santa Fe helping a friend finish up his darkroom and it felt like the moisture was being sucked out of me the whole time!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, when I lived up in North Eastern Montana (the part we like to call "West Dakota" :lol: ), they didn't bother talking about wind chill. The wind always blows 40-60MPH and when it's -50F it's just so dang cold a few more degrees of "feels like" just doesn't matter...
:roll: :lol:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

cjj wrote:Well, when I lived up in North Eastern Montana (the part we like to call "West Dakota" :lol: ), they didn't bother talking about wind chill. The wind always blows 40-60MPH and when it's -50F it's just so dang cold a few more degrees of "feels like" just doesn't matter...
:roll: :lol:
Sounds more like a Yikes! Index (Yikesdex?) is what is needed in West Dakota.. :lol:
...Dean

Return to “News At 11”