Danotron
Intermediate Member

Re: We fired Fender!

Post by Danotron »

Yes it was, thanks!
8mileshigher

We fired Fender!

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks for posting this... very interesting insights.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

8mileshigher wrote:Thanks for posting this... very interesting insights.
+1 :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

doctorwho wrote:
+1 again. :D
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

coolingitdown wrote:
doctorwho wrote:
+1 again. :D
I think that would make it +2 ... :shock: :roll: :lol: 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am wondering how more successful Fender would have been had they stuck to amplifiers and four streamlined and standardized guitar models: Stratocaster, Telecaster, P Bass and Jazz Bass.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think there are a whole lot of people out there who feel that's what they should have done. Just look at RIC's business model for one example. It may be too late for the corporate FMIC, but perhaps some smart group of investors should do what the old management did in the mid '80s when the ashes were purchased from CBS, and start over, once again.............
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

admin wrote:I am wondering how more successful Fender would have been had they stuck to amplifiers and four streamlined and standardized guitar models: Stratocaster, Telecaster, P Bass and Jazz Bass.
The "also rans" that Leo developed like the Mustang, Jag and Jazzmaster have their place in the market too, as do the student models like the original Duosonic and Musicmaster.

I agree that the wholesale acquisition of other brands does not seem to have done Fender any favours in the long run.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree completely that other models had there place in guitar history but for the most part the early models have stood the test of time. I would love to have the inside story on what instrument was THE most successful for them. I will go out on the limb and say it probably wasn't the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Duosonic, Mustang and the like.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

My guess would be the Precision at number one and the Stratocaster a distant second.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Clint I was thinking along the same lines. The fact that I own both had nothing to do with it, of course. :lol:

DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

admin wrote:I am wondering how more successful Fender would have been had they stuck to amplifiers and four streamlined and standardized guitar models: Stratocaster, Telecaster, P Bass and Jazz Bass.
I'm personally glad they did not, and really enjoy a lot of the hybrid Fender instrument designs coming-out of the Japanese & Mexican factories a lot more than the same-old stuff. There are lots of smaller, boutique companies making much better iterations of the "classic" Fender designs than Fender makes themselves these days; Lakland makes comparable (if not much better) Precision and Jazz copies for the same price or less than a USA Fender, with better customer service, and they are just one of many; the number of companies (small and large) which make high-quality strat/tele copies are practically innumerable.

If anything: Fender probably cut-off it's own limbs by doing the bulk of their business with over-seas, low-cost reproductions of their classic designs like the Strat and Tele, making their USA models seem overpriced for what they are. Believe it or not: I've played Squiers which felt as good as any USA Fender after some work from a respectable luthier, and even after changing-out all the electronics: it can still be less-than half the cost of a USA Fender.
admin wrote:I agree completely that other models had there place in guitar history but for the most part the early models have stood the test of time. I would love to have the inside story on what instrument was THE most successful for them. I will go out on the limb and say it probably wasn't the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Duosonic, Mustang and the like.
You're probably right about this, but historical relevancy/sales numbers (or lack thereof) don't necessarily indicate product quality; some of those "other" Fender guitars are quirky, but have plenty of folks (myself included) who are glad we could our hands on them without having to shell-out ridiculous amounts to a vintage dealer for a "rare" design.

I'll bet (and agree with Clint that) their most successful instrument was (probably) the P-Bass or Stratocaster. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Leo's personal favorite design was the Jazz Bass.

Anyway, this was a good article. I've heard that Fender requires many dealers to purchase a certain amount of product from each line; many shops are forced to order overpriced "relic" guitars regularly, or face contract reevaluation or cancellation. It's good to see a small company standing-up for itself. If anything can save the brick-and-mortar retail establishment from internet/mail-order business: it's a return to high-quality customer service and interpersonal standards elevated above those which can be offered by a multi-national, mail-order corporation.

At the end of the (modern) day it's just another brand name; Fender's designs and ingenuity have long since disseminated, and have saturated modern guitar manufacturing.
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

antipodean wrote: The "also rans" that Leo developed...
I would also be interested to know how the Fender Rhodes did. Amps too.
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

I just got back from NYC. I went to all the shops. They all had walls of Fenders. So much so that nothing really stood out. The most interesting were the used models. They have turned into the McDonald's of guitars.

Return to “News At 11”