Tommy Emmanuel concert review

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Tommy Emmanuel concert review

Post by beatbyrd »

I saw him this past Tuesday night at Pepperdine University in Malibu, CA. I went with two other guitar player friends from work (a jazz guy and a folk guy). Where do I start? I would strongly recommend that any serious guitar fan see this guy play live at least once in their life. I've been to a ton of concerts over the years and have never seen/heard anyone who was nearly as musical as Tommy. I got to meet and talk to him before the show and he's friendly, patient, and down-to-earth. The man is extremely talented and gets tons of positive attention and compliments; enough to turn most artists into 'divas'. But, he remains one of the most gracious, humble, and personable people you could ever want to meet. He signed things, shook hands, joked around, answered questions, and posed for pictures with all who were at the meet and greet. This is a guy whose playing impressed Chet Atkins!!
This was the second time my friends had seen Tommy in concert. The three of us were thoroughly impressed watching/listening to him play. I've never heard anyone get so much music out of an acoustic guitar. The guy is a natural performer, too. His between song patter was highly entertaining. The YouTube vids are a good start, but seeing him play live is an unforgettable experience and so much better. I plan to attend many more of his concerts, when he's in the area. And at 300 gigs a year, he should be back this way pretty soon.
Hmm, you'd almost think I enjoyed the concert........... Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
clementc3

Re: Tommy Emmanuel concert review

Post by clementc3 »

A friend of mine has also told me that I need to see & hear Tommy Emmanuel, but your review has really sold me on him now!

300 concerts a year - wow! I should be able to see him within this year.

Thanks for a great review!
deblase4001

Post by deblase4001 »

I saw him last year at a local theater and he was brilliant. Great show. So much sound for only one man on the stage. His playing was flawless and I really enjoyed the stories he told. Can't wait to see him again.
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Tommy was managed by my local guitar shop dealer here in Melbourne, Ron, of Ron Leigh's Music Factory. The guy is a freak on the acoustic guitar. Played with one of Australia's biggest bands in the '80's, Dragon, (youtube them).Tommy's brother Phil,is even better than him.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

gregga41 wrote:Tommy was managed by my local guitar shop dealer here in Melbourne, Ron, of Ron Leigh's Music Factory. The guy is a freak on the acoustic guitar. Played with one of Australia's biggest bands in the '80's, Dragon, (youtube them).Tommy's brother Phil,is even better than him.
The program notes said that he played on a bunch of the Air Supply hits, as well as doing a lot of other session work. The guy is a master of the acoustic guitar. They must have to keep Phil in a cage, if he's an even better player.....
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG

Return to “On Stage”