In the "Back Yard" Yesterday

Pet stories & photos

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, they're not exactly pets, but they've been hanging around for a few days. They seem to have moved on today. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pic, but it was all I had at the time...
Attachments
ElkHerd.jpg
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: In the "Back Yard" Yesterday

Post by jps »

Better your backyard than mine! :shock: Yours is a lot bigger, room to move around in. 8)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Wow -- that's a sizeable amount of visitors arriving !! :)
I can see why they say Montana is Big Sky country... you really capture that feeling with your picture and the trees silhouetted.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

What are those? Meese?
All I wanna do is rock!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

kiramdear wrote:What are those? Meese?
There's a hint in the name of the image... But I'll not make you look. It's part of a herd of elk that was hanging around. I couldn't exactly count 'em, but I'd guess there were around 60 of 'em.

Big critters too, pretty close to the size of a horse.

We do have quite a few moose in this area, haven't seen any near the house though. They tend to like wetter marshy areas down by the river...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

CJ, those are really cool! I remember when I was in 2nd grade and I went to yellowstone and then montana, and I saw some elk. Remarkable indeed. We should all name them!
teeder

Post by teeder »

Remarkable indeed.
and good eatin' too! :twisted:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

teeder wrote:
Remarkable indeed.
Yep, they sure are... :mrgreen:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

cjj wrote:
teeder wrote:
Remarkable indeed.
Yep, they sure are... :mrgreen:
Are they friendly? How cool would it be to have a pet elk? I think its self explanatory... :D :shock:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Look like CJ has a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and the antelope play! :mrgreen: 8)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickenbrother wrote:Look like CJ has a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and the antelope play! :mrgreen: 8)
Well, that was more likely where I used to live, in N.E. Montana. We had antelope ALL OVER the place.

Now, if you think deer are kinda stupid 'cause they'll just stand there in front of your car and let you hit them, you ain't ever seen an antelope. Antelope are kinda like the proverbial redneck. There will be a small group of them standing beside the highway and you'd swear a couple of them say to the rest of the group, "Hey, how much ya wanna bet I can get across the road before that car creams me?"
:shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Seriously. They just do that, wait until you're about 100 feet away and then just jump in front of you. I've even seen 'em do it to freight trains ( :shock: they do NOT win :( ). You'd think the noise those monsters make would scare anything away, but not antelope.

Now, buffalo are a totally different story. I knew a guy who raised them. He had his pens and corrals set up with highway guard rails and they still beat 'em up pretty bad. Can you believe it? There's actually some group out there advocating letting buffalo roam free all over Montana! Nice idea, but man think of the wreckage on the highways! I'd tend to think a couple of them might actually derail a freight train locomotive.

Anyway, enough rambling. No, elk are NOT friendly. Mostly they are kinda skittish and will generally run away if you approach them. But if they get a mind to, they might decide to attack, and they can kill you in an instant, especially the bulls when they have their antlers. The bulls weigh about 700 lbs and are about 5 ft at the shoulder, higher at the head. And amazingly strong. They can gore you with the antlers, kick you, and stomp you to death. But luckily, they generally don't want to do anything more than run away. Moose are another story completely. Do not mess with them.

But yeah, it's definitely cool to live with all of the wildlife around. I've pretty much lived around wild animals most of my life, except a few years in college and shortly afterwards. Well, there was a lot of wildlife there too, but not quite the same type...
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

We have lots of "wildlife" here too CJ............both types. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

cjj wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:Look like CJ has a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and the antelope play! :mrgreen: 8)
Well, that was more likely where I used to live, in N.E. Montana. We had antelope ALL OVER the place.

Now, if you think deer are kinda stupid 'cause they'll just stand there in front of your car and let you hit them, you ain't ever seen an antelope. Antelope are kinda like the proverbial redneck. There will be a small group of them standing beside the highway and you'd swear a couple of them say to the rest of the group, "Hey, how much ya wanna bet I can get across the road before that car creams me?"
:shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Seriously. They just do that, wait until you're about 100 feet away and then just jump in front of you. I've even seen 'em do it to freight trains ( :shock: they do NOT win :( ). You'd think the noise those monsters make would scare anything away, but not antelope.

Now, buffalo are a totally different story. I knew a guy who raised them. He had his pens and corrals set up with highway guard rails and they still beat 'em up pretty bad. Can you believe it? There's actually some group out there advocating letting buffalo roam free all over Montana! Nice idea, but man think of the wreckage on the highways! I'd tend to think a couple of them might actually derail a freight train locomotive.

Anyway, enough rambling. No, elk are NOT friendly. Mostly they are kinda skittish and will generally run away if you approach them. But if they get a mind to, they might decide to attack, and they can kill you in an instant, especially the bulls when they have their antlers. The bulls weigh about 700 lbs and are about 5 ft at the shoulder, higher at the head. And amazingly strong. They can gore you with the antlers, kick you, and stomp you to death. But luckily, they generally don't want to do anything more than run away. Moose are another story completely. Do not mess with them.

But yeah, it's definitely cool to live with all of the wildlife around. I've pretty much lived around wild animals most of my life, except a few years in college and shortly afterwards. Well, there was a lot of wildlife there too, but not quite the same type...
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That must suck to see an elk get mauled by a freight train. :shock: :( :shock:
I do like the fact that the elks mess with drivers, thats pretty funny.

On the Buffalo topic, I could see where that guy is coming from. The population of Buffalo and Bison went so far down since the indians, they have practically become extinct a couple of times. I say let the buffalo reproduce and be abundant. :D
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

winston wrote:We have lots of "wildlife" here too CJ............both types. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you didn't say that, I was going to! :lol:
IvanMunoz wrote: I say let the buffalo reproduce and be abundant. :D
Yeah, because I love buffalo mozzarella! :mrgreen: 8)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickenbrother wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote: I say let the buffalo reproduce and be abundant. :D
Yeah, because I love buffalo mozzarella! :mrgreen: 8)
Buffalo steaks are rather tasty too...

Return to “Creatures”