Lost Our Beloved Siamese Today

Pet stories & photos

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

drumbob
RRF Consultant

Lost Our Beloved Siamese Today

Post by drumbob »

Our beloved Siamese Bluepoint male, Harley, passed away peacefully today, and we are all heartbroken as you might expect. He was our favorite of all our cats, not a mean bone in his body, friendly, loving, affectionate, a lap cat, who loved everyone. He had been steadily losing weight and was having thyroid issues. He stopped eating and drinking several days ago, was having trouble walking, and we could tell he was shutting down. I wanted him to die naturally and he did. Before he passed, I gave him permission to go to heaven and find his brothers and sisters and his parents, that he was a wonderful cat who was loved dearly, that we would miss him terribly, and with that, we lost him.

We have lost a few other cats, but this is the worst. All of us were very attached to Harley. I know all of you who have pets can relate. This is a very bad time for us.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Lost Our Beloved Siamese Today

Post by kiramdear »

We get so attached to the little ones, and it is truly heartbreaking. I know you can't replace Harley, but there are a lot of needy youngsters out there ready to handle his job of loving you.

When I lost my beloved little dog a year back, I found the only way to feel whole again was to rescue another one who turned out great. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

:(
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I'm very sorry to hear about Harley, Bob.
:( :( :(
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I am very sorry to hear this, Bob. :( Pets give so much and demand so little in return.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

As a person who really loves animals, I can only say how saddened I was to read about Harleys passing Bob. Please accept my sincere condolences.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Thank you to everyone for their sincere expressions of condolence. This has been very hard on all of us, as Harley was a special cat in every way. He was our favorite by far, a great pet, and one of a kind. We were hoping he'd live to be 18-20, but it wasn't meant to be. About a year ago, I started to get the feeling that he might not be with us too much longer. Sadly prophetic, I guess.
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

My sympathies for your loss of a beloved friend. :cry:
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Oh Bob,

I'm SO sorry to hear of your loss.

In my youth, I never REALLY understood the depth in which the loss of a pet could be. Possibly because I was never allowed any as a child?

But, as I matured, I understood.

Our Siamese Piewacket, is 19 years old and thankfully, is still healthy. We all dread the day when we lose her. My kids were about 3 & 4 years respectively when we adopted her as a 6 week old kitten.

She is so much a part of our family. Same here, not a mean bone in her body. She is our ONLY cat and has been her whole life. Whenever we tried to bring another in the house, her disposition changed. She just wouldn't accept a new feline into the fold. She watches the door until the kids come at night, tucks them into their beds and ONLY when everyone is home, safe & sound will she hop up into our bed to sleep.

Our sympathies to your and yours.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Thanks, Tony. We're all doing better now. I'm happy your Siamese has lived so long. I did some research on the breed and their lifespan is generally around 15 years or so.

My younger daughter was 3 when we got Harley, like yours. She grew up with him. His loss was very tough on her. Harley though, was very accepting on new cats in the house. He accepted our Ragdoll, Jasmine, and our little Siamese/Shorthair mix, Lucy. He and Lucy actually bonded and became companions. She knows Harley is gone. She's been meowing and hanging around with us more than usual.

The vet called the other day, and Harley's ashes are ready for us to pick up. I know that when I bring them home, the grief will start again.

The good news is, we have located a Siamese breeder about two hours away in PA who has kittens ready to go on Dec. 1. They're chocolate or sealpoints, and we have reserved a male. We'll be heading out on Sunday Dec. 2 to pick him up. We have pictures. We're told he's very affectionate, personable and friendly, typical Siamese traits. See below. One of them is ours.
Attachments
Siamese kittens in Hatboro.jpg
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

:cry:

Traveling right now... this really makes me miss my cats. So sorry to read this. Thanks for being a good parent to Harley all those years. The love you shared can't be taken away.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Incredibly, 24 hours after my last post I got a call from my cat sitter (I was out of town for Thanksgiving) that my Siamese, Ollie, had lost function of his legs and stopped eating. This was completely out of the blue as he had been fine every other day. My sitter stayed with him overnight and got him to eat some special diet. By the time I got back on the 23rd he had accumulated a variety of problems, some more treatable than others, but our vet determined the kindest thing to do for Ollie was to let him go (I won't get into the gory details as to why). We sat with him and stroked his head as he fell asleep and I knew this death was the kindest thing we could have given him at that point. Propofol followed by pentobarb--I may request the same thing for myself some day. I was grateful we put him down while he was still "himself" and not driven mad with pain. He had always had a variety of health problems since we got him as a run-over 14 day old kitten. He made up for his chronic health problems with the biggest personality I have ever witnessed in a feline. What a sweet boy. We took him back to Missouri for the second leg of "vacation" and buried him next to his "brother" Levi who we lost about 3 years ago, under a nearly full moon in the valley behind my parents' place. I hope he and Levi are enjoying all the music of the forest together now.

RIP Ollie, say hi to Harley for me if there's a cat heaven--you're both sorely missed.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Aw dang, Joshua. I'm very sorry to hear that...
:(
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

I know this is a bit late, Joshua, but my sincerest sympathes on the loss of Ollie. The holidays got in the way, I suppose. You know what it's like to lose a beloved pet. It sucks, because they're a part of the family.

Our little Siamese kitten, Teddy Roosevelt, is doing great, He's incredibly active, mischievous, very affectionate, lovable and good natured, not to mention very vocal, all Siamese traits. We miss Harley, but Teddy is a great kitten.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

drumbob wrote:Our little Siamese kitten, Teddy Roosevelt, is doing great, He's incredibly active, mischievous, very affectionate, lovable and good natured, not to mention very vocal, all Siamese traits. We miss Harley, but Teddy is a great kitten.
Awesome! :D I'm glad Teddy has a good home.

With Ollie, we had to watch his magnesium oxalate intake because he was male. It could block his UT if we let him eat too much of the wrong food (which after he got old enough was a very small amount). We switched to low mag food, controlled how much he ate and he did well on it for years. You're probably aware of this but thought I'd share anyway.

Return to “Creatures”