Any Cyclists? (pedal not motored)

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickaddict

Re: Any Cyclists? (pedal not motored)

Post by rickaddict »

Wow...5 posts in a row(and now 6)! I think that's a record for me!

I must love talking to myself. :twisted:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

But they were all interesting posts Jeff. :D The Fender Bender bike is fantastic looking IMO. What a great thread.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

My wife and I used to be avid cyclists, in fact we met through cycling at the Wine Country Century in Santa Rosa, CA. She was way more into it than me, I only had 2 road bikes and a mountain bike, she had 2 mountain bikes and 12 road bikes.

We used to do ridiculous rides such as "The Death Ride", 129 miles, 15,000 ft of climbing, 5 passes in the Sierras, 3 of them over 8,000ft altitude...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

cjj wrote:My wife and I used to be avid cyclists, in fact we met through cycling at the Wine Country Century in Santa Rosa, CA. She was way more into it than me, I only had 2 road bikes and a mountain bike, she had 2 mountain bikes and 12 road bikes.

We used to do ridiculous rides such as "The Death Ride", 129 miles, 15,000 ft of climbing, 5 passes in the Sierras, 3 of them over 8,000ft altitude...
Wow! My wife considers herself a cyclist and we have toured together on and off road, but 14 bikes? That's awesome! I wish my wife had that level of interest...or maybe not quite that much! 8)

I've heard of the Death Ride. That sounds like fun. One of these days I really should get a road bike. But then I'll want a folding bike. And then an around town bike. And then a tandem. And then a custom frame with lugs shaped like Rickenbacker headstocks. And then...

:twisted:
wayang

Post by wayang »

I love my motorcycle, but I still like pedalling, too...I grew up riding on back roads through the hills of western Europe, and I still enjoy getting up on two wheels when I get the chance. I have an old 'Stump Jumper'...still a great bike.

A good friend of mine (former 82nd Airborne Ranger and OAE - 'old antarctic explorer') builds high end mountain bikes at Anvil Bikeworks, his home shop south of Denver...if you're a bike freak, you might enjoy seeing his set up and products: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anvilbikes/
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickaddict wrote:
cjj wrote:My wife and I used to be avid cyclists, in fact we met through cycling at the Wine Country Century in Santa Rosa, CA. She was way more into it than me, I only had 2 road bikes and a mountain bike, she had 2 mountain bikes and 12 road bikes.

Wow! My wife considers herself a cyclist and we have toured together on and off road, but 14 bikes? That's awesome! I wish my wife had that level of interest...or maybe not quite that much! 8)
Yeah, her favorite bike was a Vitus 992 fully outfitted with top of the line Campagnolo components, ultra light wheels that she hand built herself with a special minimal spoke configuration she devised. Yeah, she was into cycling just a bit...
:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

cjj wrote:
Yeah, her favorite bike was a Vitus 992 fully outfitted with top of the line Campagnolo components, ultra light wheels that she hand built herself with a special minimal spoke configuration she devised. Yeah, she was into cycling just a bit...
So what happened (if I might be so bold to ask)? Does she still ride?

I have a friend that's a little older than I am and used to be on one of the pro cycling teams... (7-11, I think? Or was it Motorola?) Obviously a guy like that used to ride a heck of a lot more than I ever did/will. Now he rides hardly at all. He did just buy an around town bike, but prior to that I hadn't ever seen him on a bike. I guess the pendulum swung the other way and he just got burned out from it?

:|
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickaddict wrote:
cjj wrote:
So what happened (if I might be so bold to ask)? Does she still ride?
Well, several things. For her, she was in an accident and suffered severe back injuries. After 2 surgeries, she's OK, but her lower back is completely fused and can't bend. Then, we moved to an area with nothing but dirt/gravel roads, so the road bikes were completely out. Also, in this area, you've only got a couple of weeks where you can stand to be outside. Too cold in the winter (-40F is common), too windy all the time (25-40mph with 50-70mph gusts are common), and way too many mosquitoes once it warms up.

But we've officially retired from ranching and sold the place so we'll be moving to a more hospitable location and will take up cycling again. Probably not the hard core stuff we did 30 years ago though...
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

Well that sucks, CJ. I hate the thought of someone who is such a passionate cyclist having to leave the sport due to an accident/injury.

And I complain about the winters in Chicago, but...WOW! Sounds like I should consider myself lucky!

Good luck with your relocating.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

My main work location is 25 minutes away, but would any of you consider this trip (to the satellite work area), from one side of metro Denver to the other, too daunting of a trip even if I got up early enough for it? My main concern is traffic, but fortunately a lot of Google's directions use trails.

mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Also a lifelong cyclist. You guys have some serious bikes!! Guess I should expect that since you guys are the same with guitars & basses. I have no problem with my mountain bike.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I bicycled a lot in college, and got back into it while when I moved to San Diego, but I haven't biked much since moving to Orange County, except for an occasional commute to/from work and to/from the Honda dealer.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

I'd love to get one of these, classic looks and very functional under the surface..:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/roadster-26.html

emac.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

Very cool bikes, Eden. I have a Pashley dealer that I can walk to. I took one for a ride around a year ago, but never pulled the trigger. I still like them a lot though for an around town bike.

And I took this one for a ride too:

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor-3-speed.html

I LOVE retro stuff!

8)
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

I like the Guvnor too although with my back, I'd have to flip the bars over to get comfortable....

emac.

Return to “Trivia”