Any Cyclists? (pedal not motored)

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

weemac
Veteran RRF member

Any Cyclists? (pedal not motored)

Post by weemac »

Just wondering...
I ridden a bike for many years and my wife has recently got into it as well..

Does anyone here cycle as well? What is your favorite method (road or mountian etc) What breed of bike? Any cool features?
Do you use biopace? (I had to throw that one in) :mrgreen:

Just wondering...

emac.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Re: Any Cyclists? (pedal not motored)

Post by captsandwich »

While pursuing my musical dream, I (barely) paid the rent by being a bike courier. 3 years, rain or shine or snow, in Toronto, where the seasons go from 35 C in the summer to -35 C in the winter.
I still ride regularly. One of the conditions we had when we bought a new car was we had to be able to fit the bikes in it realatively easily. (We bought an Impreza hatch back - don't even have to take off the front wheels to get 2 mountain bikes inside!)
My wife & I ride the bike paths on the weekends. My main bike is a Stumpjumper Comp, a couple of years old. I put Ritchey slicks on it because it doesn't see any time on the dirt. Other than that, no customization. This is my fourth straight Specialized. My wife rides my old fully rigid S-works, full xtr, sweet bike. Sometimes I regret giving it up.
I also have on old late 80's Pinarello road bike with a strange mix of Campy & Dura-ace components. It doesn't get much riding time anymore.
I do a very short daily commute (summer only - I'm getting old!) on an old Trek mountain bike, it's a pig, but it gets me back & forth.
Last edited by captsandwich on Mon May 31, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

I'm getting back into it; I used to ride my Gitane Interclub all the time back in my '20s. I like watching road racing, particularly stage races. But I've never raced, and I enjoy distance rides at a touring pace. I'd like to do randonneuring, brevets, maybe loaded touring. But I also have a recent interest in cyclocrosss. I had a mountain bike as my only bike back in the '90s, but I never did much off-road and it wasn't suited for long rides at all.

Current bikes are an '86 Trek Elance 400 triple, a '70's Ets Fraysse (from Paris Sport) that I use for commuting, and a Trek 700 MultiTrack that I'm painting and building up to be something along the lines of http://antbikemike.files.wordpress.com/ ... 9-0172.jpg to replace the Ets Fraysse.

And no, I don't have any Biopace or ever tried it - Trek's 400 the year after mine had Ovaltech rings, but mine are round.

And today's a good day for a ride, I'm going out on the W&OD trail in Virginia in a few hours.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I've been cycling since I was a kid; used to pedal to work in Chicago in the early '70s, in most weather, on my then-new Schwinn Suburban 10 speed (it was Chicago, remember!).

The bike was root beer brown with gumwall tires and white Britannia plastic fenders. One day when it was about 6 months old, I was eating lunch at a coffee shop, I had it chained to a post across the street, and a bus pulled up to disgorge its passengers, blocking my view of the bike. When the bus left, the bike was...GONE.

I had the serial number memorized (MF02430), and posted it on the fridge.

Over two years later, my brother thought he saw it being ridden by an old classmate of his. Pretty distinctive bike. I rounded up a friend who was a Chicago police detective and we went a-knockin'. The 17-year-old gave up the bike without a struggle--he was trembling. Serial number matched and there wasn't a scratch on it.

I sold the bike eight years later, when I moved to California to Chicago. Lately, I've been biking a bit here and there on a $100 Huffy mountain bike, while my "Gentleman's Tourer" is being built by my good friend Tom, who owns 4130inc. Bicycles. It will be similar to #8 on his website, except with a 10-speed setup and front basket. Once it's complete, I'll be doing lots of riding around the hills here.

http://4130inc.com/
Len

Post by Len »

Yes, I am a bicyclist. I do commuting, road and mountain biking. Not commuting so much now, my current job doesn't make that easy. I like biking unpaved forest service roads. I've also done randonneuring, and completed a series a few years ago when I lived in Seattle. The Atlanta group is great too, but it's a little less convenient for me to participate these last couple of years.

Biopace! I haven't heard that in years. Sheldon Brown, one of the great internet bicycle commentators, used to love it.

I really got into biking back in 1994. I sold all my guitars and amps to buy bike equipment. That was a bad move. I should have maintained a balance. Now I've sold off a load of bike gear to buy guitars. Looking for balance this time.

My favorite bike is Rivendell. I think it's like a Rickenbacker. Classic, handmade, long waiting list, perfect fit. Here are a few photos of my bikes if you are interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24103159@N ... 781169545/

I really like lugged steel frames. They have a sleek, classic look that I don't think can be beat. They are like hand wired tube amps. If something goes wrong, a guy with a torch, or a soldering iron, can fix it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I used to ride constantly until I blew out my left knee. I still have my 1979 Raleigh Super Course TT (English Carlton frame) with many upgraded components. One of these day I should sell it to someone who would appreciate it.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

I have a late 70s Guerciotti that I've had for 20 years. I still ride some, especially now that I've moved out of the city. Back when I got the bike, I lived in SE Connecticut, and I averaged about 100 miles a week from May-October for about five years. I used to do the Ledyard relay and the Rt 2 time trial every week during the summer. Foxwood's expansion and infrastructure on Rt 2 killed that back in the early 90s.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I have a boring hybrid. Haven't ridden it since I got my driver's licence back following an er.... alcohol related indiscretion. :oops:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Count me in a bicyclist that has ridden bike since right after I could walk. I still own a nicely equipped mountain bike but my trail riding days have been somewhat limited because of my other interests in life that have taken precedence.

Thanks for creating this thread Eden, it has made me strongly consider getting my bike ready for some use on the trails around here over the summer. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I'm a bicyclist and a motorcyclist.

I have an early 90s Bianchi Road bike, and a slightly older mountain bike with a Schwinn badge, though it's made in Taiwan. I just ride for fun and errands, as well as a bit of exercise. Nothing extravagant, and I don't wear a helmet or the padded shorts or anything.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Well..
Checking out some of the pics there are some nice bikes on this guitar forum!
Don't panic Aitch about having a "Boring" hybrid" as they are one of the only options us aussies who don't want either a mountian or a road bike..
I too have a "Boring" hybrid but it has kind of evolved over the years and looks now like a Raleigh Grifter that grew up..
I ride in all seasons so mudguards are a must. And as I hate gritty brakes it has a Sturmey Archer front drum hub on a fake Velocity rim (It was a bit like finding out that you have just purchased a Rickenfaker)
The drum brake is very no-fuss
It is soon to get a NuVinci n360 rear hub and I can do away with the traditional gear train.:http://www.fallbrooktech.com/08_bicycle_n360.asp
I also have a 53 Raleigh Lenton Sport that I have ridden since I was a teenager (it was old then and it's a lot older now)
Those old british bikes have great frame geometery and the Lenton was also quite light, It now needs a complete overhaul
I recently got a Reliance Hardtail (old aussie made looptail BMX made of an alloy of cast iron and lead) for $20 I had one when I was 11 and it was great to see in the steel again.
There is others in the mix as well but that is the important ones..

Any More?

emac.
Attachments
There's me trusty (or rusty) Steed!
There's me trusty (or rusty) Steed!
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Mountain biker here and I currently ride a 2005 Norco Torrent.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

It looks similar to this picture.
Attachments
2005_torrent.jpg
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Lifelong cyclist here until 3 years ago when my back problem started. Haven't been on one since and I miss it.

Didn't use them much for sport but just for good, clean, practical transportation in my City by the Bay. In fact, I never bothered to get a driver's licence until I was almost thirty, and never owned a car until nine years ago. Still got it. But I'd rather be cycling when practical, if I could ... :(

Gotta tell you, though: I had quit riding my bike a year before my disability because the town where I live now is a death trap for cyclists. A couple of nasty spills because of driver unawareness and lack of bike paths had forced me to put my bike in storage, which was a real disappointment in this supposedly Green community. :(
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

We used to ride The Strand just about every weekend if we weren't up in the San Gabriels hiking.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Aargh! One of the pedals fell off my trek this mornign, turning what is akin to a leisurely stroll into the office into several kilometers of three legged race with an inanimate lump of steel as a partner. Now I'm all hot & sweaty on a day that I have to give a presentation.
:x
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino

Return to “Trivia”