Dealing with Fed-Ex Insurance

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cjj
RRF Moderator

Dealing with Fed-Ex Insurance

Post by cjj »

Does anyone here have any experience with Fed-Ex and damage claims? As I understand it, it's up to the shipper to file the damage claim. Well, it's a bit convoluted, but officially I'm the shipper since I bought something from someone and had them ship it using my account. Anyway, the shipping goons managed to drop the packages on both the top and bottom sides, causing pretty severe damage. I've got before shipping pics and can, obviously take after pics.

The shipment was 2 packages, insured for $400 each. They're pretty much demolished now... :(

So, if anyone has any tips on how to deal with Fed-Ex and damage claims, please let me know...

Thanks,
-cj
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
mgauction
Advanced Member

Re: Dealing with Fed-Ex Insurance

Post by mgauction »

KEEP THE BOX AN D ALL THE SHIPPING MATERIAL THAT WERE ENCLOSED!! That's for starters. If you don't have that then you're toast. No matter what you insure with FedEx they will only pay you the first $100 and fight you tooth & nail for the rest until you give up. Also, the person who shipped is the one that has to make the claim.

In the future, best to ship with no insurance using FedEx or any other carrier and use a broker or insurance rider (preferable) that will protect you in these cases. I work for a company that uses an insurance rider ($200K on each package) and I also had one when I had my own company. This is the only way to go! You can piggy back on one if you are friendly with shippers like Ship Rite, or any of the other shipping companies. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER USE FEDEX INSURANCE!! They gladly take your money and give you a headache if you make a claim.

However, right now, the damage is done. Hopefully you will follow the instructions I previously mentioned in the future. If you were properly insured with FedEx for these rates when shipped, you have a legitimate claim. I just hope the best for you. Contact me by PM and let me know what stages you are in. I can probably guide you thru some of it.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Thanks Mike. I figured as much. Well, what can I say? I'm getting pretty used to being screwed these days...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

CJ - Don't give up!! Get that info in digital images to the one who shipped it so he can make a claim and have FedEx visit you to view the box and all it's contents. Let me know what happens from there. Keep your chin up :)
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

CJ,

I've been lucky I guess.

IF it is any help, I've filed two claims over the years with FEDEX. We have an account. They paid promptly and with little grief other than wanting to see the damaged boxes. They never even inspected them other than asking for questions, filling out their form and providing pictures of the damage. I kept the guitar & got the check. They never even took the damaged goods.

Just dot every "I" and cross every "t". It took a few weeks, but I got the checks!

You are actually in a GOOD position. A Fedex agent told me to do EXACTLY what you did. Use the account and be the SHIPPER & the receiver!

I've been shafted when the shipper gets the check and I get zip. UPS did that to me on a 73 RIC some years ago.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Good luck getting satisfaction, CJ. Like Mike said, don't give up!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I've started a claim, and so far, things seem to be going smoothly. Of course, getting a case entered into the system is a long way from getting resolution...
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I had one experience with a UPS claim, and it went fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, cj! :D
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I'll jump in here. I've never had a claim (thank god), but I stress severely everytime I ship something.. UPS, FedEx, and the rest all jump right out there and offer the insurance, why do they all seem to turn their backs when a claim is made?

Is it just another scam?
"Knowledge is Power"
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Based on my experience, it's not a scam in the sense that UPS was cooperative and paid out an equitable amount (which was based on repair costs for the damage). Based on what I've paid over the years for insurance and what I got back, well it's like any other insurance ... another form of gambling, but legal. :roll: :shock: :D
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

cheyenne wrote:I'll jump in here. I've never had a claim (thank god), but I stress severely everytime I ship something.. UPS, FedEx, and the rest all jump right out there and offer the insurance, why do they all seem to turn their backs when a claim is made?

Is it just another scam?
Great question, Scott! They are glad to take your money coming out, but when they have to pay they make it very difficult.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, there's an update to this situation.

After talking with the Fed-Ex claims people, they decided that we should send in pictures and they would evaluate the damage. The next day, our Fed-Ex driver showed up with shipping labels for us to send the items in to the claims center. So, we called the next day and they said it was a mistake and they just wanted pictures. Guess who showed up later that day with more shipping labels?

Well, we finally got things straight with the Fed-Ex claims guys and sent a bunch of pictures via email. I think the main problem was that we were officially the shippers even though we received the items. With Fed-Ex, it's up to the shipper to make the claim. We had the seller take the items into a Kinko's and put it on our account, so officially we were the shipper. This caused a bit of confusion, but in the end, it seems like a much better way to go since we were in control of all claims matters, and didn't have to repack and ship things back to the seller.

Well, OK. Here's the part everyone is waiting for. Today we got an envelope from Fed-Ex in the mail. Inside was a check for the entire insured value plus the cost of shipping! So, even though there was a fair amount of confusion, the insurance did end up being worth it and really wasn't that much of a hassle to deal with... :D
billydlight

Post by billydlight »

Congrats!!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

billydlight wrote:Congrats!!
+1!!!! :D
jps