Corn Chips

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Danotron
Intermediate Member

Corn Chips

Post by Danotron »

I was snacking on some corn chips tonight and looked at the ingredients:

"Whole White Corn, Vegetable Oil, and Salt. No Preservatives. 0 grams of Trans Fat"

Can this be considered a vegetable?

If it is, I look forward to arguing with my Doctor about my eating habits but I thought I'd ask you all first.

(sorry, it's late :))
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Corn Chips

Post by libratune »

Ah, were it so.

The end result of processing corn into corn chips is not to retain whatever nutrients were in the corn, but rather to make the corn vegetable matter into something crunchy that tastes good with salt.

Then I don't think the corn is a vegetable any more -- most of the favorable "vegetable" aspects have been processed out.

Then again, maybe your doctor likes corn chips, too . . . :wink:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

<Nerd_Mode>
Well, technically, the corn never was a vegetable, even before being turned into a chip.

Corn is a grain, similar to wheat and such, so your corn chips are really closer to bread...
</Nerd_Mode>
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

Mmmmm...corn!

I like corn whether it be on the cob or in the form of a chip.

I think this thread has inspired me to have one of my Rick basses custom painted so that the neck looks like one long cob of corn.

8)
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

This thread is way too corny for me...
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

cjj wrote:<Nerd_Mode>
Well, technically, the corn never was a vegetable, even before being turned into a chip.

Corn is a grain, similar to wheat and such, so your corn chips are really closer to bread...
</Nerd_Mode>
Beat me to it, CJ. I'm learning more about this sort of thing than I thought I ever wanted to know. My wife just finished a program in nutrition education.
JimK
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

bitzerguy wrote:This thread is way too corny for me...
Good one Dean. :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Kilaen

Post by Kilaen »

On a side note, corn chips burn when lit. In a pinch, they can be used to start a fire if you are stranded with your zippo and a bag of Fritos...

Come on, you know you all want to try it out for yourselves now!
Livin' the Dream is better than Dreamin' the Life...
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Kilaen wrote:On a side note, corn chips burn when lit. In a pinch, they can be used to start a fire if you are stranded with your zippo and a bag of Fritos...

:mrgreen: :shock: :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Kilaen wrote:On a side note, corn chips burn when lit. In a pinch, they can be used to start a fire if you are stranded with your zippo and a bag of Fritos...

I just tried it and you are correct Sir, they do burn (they stink when on fire too) :shock:

Thanks for the information guys, corn = grain, not a vegetable.

This probably does not bode well for my french fries as a vegetable theory either (potato + vegetable oil = ?)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Danotron wrote: This probably does not bode well for my french fries as a vegetable theory either (potato + vegetable oil = ?)
Unless you put ketchup on them. Didn't the US government consider ketchup as a vegetable for school lunches? Maybe french fries and ketchup would count as 2 vegetables...... or even 3 if you count the vegetable oil. You're zoomin' along the road to healthy eating already! So have some ice cream, so that you get your dairy. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Tom is now our resident nutritionist........ :lol:

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

winston wrote:Tom is now our resident nutritionist........ :lol:
So..... you're adding 'ritionist' to my current title? Seriously, no one should copy my daily diet, unless they are going for quality, not quantity in their life. My typical weekday menu:
breakfast - chocolate covered chocolate donut, washed down with Coke classic
snack - chocolate croissant washed down with Coke classic
lunch - single slice of pepperoni pizza washed down with Coke classic, plus small bag of M&Ms plain
dinner - El Pollo Loco fast food chicken, washed down with Coke classic and 6 Famous Amos cookies (with glass of 1% milk)

My theory is to provide as toxic an environment as possible for the germs.

Coke classic and chocolate at nearly every meal. Add in a pack of Marlboros/day and you got yourself a rocket ship to the 100+ club, as long as you don't exercise. I will admit that I'm about 20 pounds overweight, though. Think I'll cut down on the milk. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

beatbyrd wrote:
winston wrote:Tom is now our resident nutritionist........ :lol:
So..... you're adding 'ritionist' to my current title? Seriously, no one should copy my daily diet, unless they are going for quality, not quantity in their life. My typical weekday menu:
breakfast - chocolate covered chocolate donut, washed down with Coke classic
snack - chocolate croissant washed down with Coke classic
lunch - single slice of pepperoni pizza washed down with Coke classic, plus small bag of M&Ms plain
dinner - El Pollo Loco fast food chicken, washed down with Coke classic and 6 Famous Amos cookies (with glass of 1% milk)

My theory is to provide as toxic an environment as possible for the germs.

Coke classic and chocolate at nearly every meal. Add in a pack of Marlboros/day and you got yourself a rocket ship to the 100+ club, as long as you don't exercise. I will admit that I'm about 20 pounds overweight, though. Think I'll cut down on the milk. Tom
Too funny Tom. :lol:

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

beatbyrd wrote:
Danotron wrote: This probably does not bode well for my french fries as a vegetable theory either (potato + vegetable oil = ?)
Unless you put ketchup on them...
Of course, you know...
<WARNING: NERD_MODE again>
tomatoes aren't vegetables either, they are fruits. Of course, the U.S. Supreme Court declared them to be vegetables back in 1893 so they could collect import tariff fees. Plus several states have declared them their state vegetable, completely disregarding the official botanical classification...

</NERD_MODE... you're safe again... :roll: :lol: >
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Trivia”