question about Capri's

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Re: question about Capri's

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Tons of input, great!

BTW: The "Old Capri" had just one truss rod and an unfinished fretboard.
- Maybe that was the same time they used ovangkol? These little "cheeks" at the headstock were during those days, too.
Marn99

Post by Marn99 »

Hotzenplotz wrote:Tons of input, great!

BTW: The "Old Capri" had just one truss rod and an unfinished fretboard.
- Maybe that was the same time they used ovangkol? These little "cheeks" at the headstock were during those days, too.
The center strip looks to be Ovangkol (assuming it is not some obscure species that was/is sold as ovangkol, which can happen with exotic species), the wings, I'd say are less clear. They sometimes look a bit different to me.
blueburst330

Post by blueburst330 »

My Capri 360 OS was alder. It had the original finish removed, so I didn't see it in its original form. Knobs are not original.

To my ear, the toaster pickups on this were unlike current toasters. Very, very hot and bright. With treble dialed all the way up they were sizzling. Slim neck profile.

[sorry, looks like the photo was too large to upload]
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

blueburst330 wrote:My Capri 360 OS was alder. It had the original finish removed, so I didn't see it in its original form. Knobs are not original.

To my ear, the toaster pickups on this were unlike current toasters. Very, very hot and bright. With treble dialed all the way up they were sizzling. Slim neck profile.

[sorry, looks like the photo was too large to upload]
Do you still have the guitar with those pickups?

I've often heard that the Capri toaster pickups were using 43 or 42 gauge wire, and/or 44 gauge but heavy Formvar instead of the 44 gauge poly wire that has been used since the early 60's. That would of course change the sound if so. I've never seen one of those pickups to be able to analyze it or measure it however.

Greg
blueburst330

Post by blueburst330 »

I wish I still had that guitar! And I didn't make note of the wiring while I had it, unfortunately.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Well I suppose one of these days I'll get a chance to see one and get a look. Thanks anyway. :)

Greg

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”