1965 RM1997

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

headbanger
Veteran RRF member

1965 RM1997

Post by headbanger »

Hello all.

Here's the link to photo's of my newly found '65 1997.
I would appreciate any comments.

Gerard F

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Gerard: Sweet. Great Find!!! How does it sound?
I like the bird's-eye in the top especially. It looks original and unaltered. Congrats. Image
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

John, thanks!
A really great find. Beyond my wildest dreams. It was tagged as a '63 330.
It sounds .... what can I say but....FAB. First thing I tried was "All my loving".
Perfect playing, working, sounding, structural order. Just a bit of finish missing off the back.
Looks like someone's hung it round their neck for 35 odd years but never actually played it.

Gerard F
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

cool guitar ,but check out the saddles on that bridge !!!

looks like time to measure placement!
if you remove the bridge ,note that the holes in the plate are NOT symetrical ...marl this with a felt marker on the bottom T -treble B-bass ,that way it will not be returned to the WRONG way and then you have to do this all over again.

under that plate you will find a black line drawn with the screw holes and the ground/earth wire.Measure the distance from the edge of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret .Double that and if that line is where that measurement comes to ...that is why the saddles are jammed back against the chassis of the bridge .

Fix.............move the plate away from the neck 5/32" and redrill the plate and reinstall the bridge ,re string and intonate and it will work like a charm.

Good find .......enjoy
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

Mark, thanks but it's ok.
There's still about 3/16" for the low e to travel.
It's just from where the pic is shot makes it look that way.
Intonation is perfect. Stays in tune remarkably well.
Came with what the store said is an original Rick strap which has a cat and R B stamped on it. Can someone confirm this?

Gerard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gerard: The cat may be "Capri".
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gerard: Your 1965 Model 1997 photos are now posted to the Rickenbacker Registration Page.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

I didn't realise Gerard F was Australian, but it does make me wonder if there is an over proportion of Australian users to this site. The statistics show only a small number of Ricks here in Australia, yet the number of regular users of the forum who are Australian seems to be quite high. Exactly how many are out there, and where did they get their Ricks in Oz? I can start by saying I got my '66 Rose, Morris 1998 at Revolver in Chapel Street, Prahran (repaired headstock, replaced tuners, case and 'R' tailpiece for AU$990).
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

I forgot my '80 330/12. Fretted Intruments in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy (non original case and screw holes for left handed pickguard placement AU$1100). Both this and the '66 1998 were bought about 4 years ago. I don't think they can be found for this cheap anymore!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

It's an Olive tree...lol. Love it!
Mark, as far as I know it's you, Glen & I who are the only fanatics.
I just keep falling over these things.
carr

Post by carr »

I just Love rics. Im not into the "collectables" or "genuine reproductions" . My first rics 360/12 jetglo and 4003 fireglo came from Guitar Crazy in Sydney via the internet and my latest joy, 370/6 mapleglo, came from Syndal Music Centre. Not too many S/h or vintage Rics come onto the open market. I did have a phone number for a guyin Moe who alledges he has one of everything and offered me a John Kay a while back.. I lost the darned ph number Image

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”