Best amp for a 67' 366/12?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Best amp for a 67' 366/12?

Post by gibsonlp »

Hi guys.

I've been starting to think of a suitable amp for my 67' 366/12.

Size is a major factor as I don't have too much space at the moment. I thought about a pre CBS twin reverb, what do you say?

With ~$4K budget, what would YOU buy for your 12 strings rick?

Thanks, or, after driving all the way to munich from Vienna to pick up my 72' 4001 - Danke! Image
So long and thanks for all the fish!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

With ~$4K budget, what would YOU buy for your 12 strings rick?

Lots of strings!

A pre-CBS TR would be very nice, but keep in mind the service that will be required of such an old tube amp. If you do not need that much power, try one of Wayne's amps at www.headstrongamps.com/
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I would go with a Matchless or a vintage AC-30.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I dunno...

With a sixty-seven-foot guitar, wouldn't you need an amp at least the size of a Hard Rock Cafe?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Gil...4K will buy you a lot of amplifier for the sound you are looking for. $600.00 will get you an AC-15 VOX with great tone and 60's sounds. $700.00 for a new vintage style Fender Deluxe in Tweed covering. 1 awesome amp with everything you can imagine for tone and volume. I love old amps, but why take a chance on spending that kind of money and have one break down or need repairs. The technology in new amps is 1st rate, and with the effects offered today, shop around on music123.com or musiciansfriend.com .Rickenbackers sound great thru these new amps, but if you are looking for vintage investments, then search out a nice Fender Deluxe Reverb or a Pre CBS Twin Reverb or a Band Master. These are good investments, but be aware that you may have to have them modified for Euro 220volt current.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

I love my TR75. Bags of tone and it only cost £75 Image
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks guys,

I am not looking to buy an amp for an investment, I wish to recreate a true vintage sound with my Rick, I don't care if it is a new or a vintage amp.

I am currently using Fender Princeton chorus amp which is a very nice amp - but it doesn't "play along" well with my Rick.
I do not wish to get into a maintenance hell, and frankly - I didn't know it is such a problem with vintage amps.
If I would buy a TR amp I would do it locally - shipping such item from the US is a suicide so the 110/220V thing is a non-issue.

Dale - Are the new VOX any good? there is a local dealer here in Israel and I can get their re-issue amps without having to sell a family member
What about a reissue Fender TR amp?
I will checkout this Fender deluxe option, if it is a new amp - there is no problem for me getting it.

Jeffrey - Thanks for the info, I looked into their site and it really looks cool, however - for now I would like to limit myself on buying locally available amps as shipping and taxes would be a nightmare.

Thanks again guys.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

The new Vox Amps are made in China. They are dependable, inexpensive and sound great. I wish they were made in England or the USA, but they aren't. This is a cost factor since labor costs are so low in China. I own 3 Vox Amps made in China and they are made to exact specs.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

You might check with Paul W..he may me looking to sell his 60's Fender Bandmaster piggyback..I sold it to him and it's been fully serviced...
Reverb set to stun !!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

...It's a 9/10--it looks virtually new, except for one scratch on the front panel that I thought was a cat-hair...

Very sweet, sits in my office and I haven't played it in months.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

About 25 years ago I bought a late '60s Ampeg Gemini II which, when a technician looked it over, was found to have been set on fire, or something equally mysterious and traumatic, in the past. We put some new power tubes in it, mainly for good measure, since I was taking it out on tour, and I don't think this amp has been worked on since, or had a single tube changed. I still use it often, and by now it has been thrown in and out of smelly tour vans about a million times. I never had a case for the poor thing, but it doesn't seem to mind. This is exactly my experience with the other 15 or so ancient amps around here! There's nothing to fear.
The guitar- road to ruin?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Those '60s Ampegs were fabulous amps, Mitch...I had a Reverberocket in '65. Still looking for that Portaflex 18 that's eluded me so far, though.

Current old fave at home is my suitcase Maggie M-10, which I've admired since my polka-band-playing uncle had one when new in '64.
― Kurt Vonnegut
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

The Reverberocket is one the best amps ever. Nothing else makes that sound. Then there's the Super Echo Twin...astounding. I have a B-18, is that what you're talking about? I'll trade for an acoustic guitar! Just kidding. The B-18 cost $300.
Magnatones are a universe unto themselves, still under-appreciated, I reckon.
The guitar- road to ruin?
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Paul pray tell, purchase price?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

On the Maggie, Jerry? Something like $450.00 on Ebay. Formerly owned by Hall and Oates, restored by their tech. The guy sent me an irksome e-mail telling me he hoped I knew how lucky I was.

I've been even luckier to score not one, but a pair of the rare extension speakers for this amp, too. A suitcase trio.
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”