'66 365 OS photos

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Advanced Member

Re: '66 365 OS photos

Post by 1965 »

That's a good point, John S. I noticed that the nameplate seemed different. I've warmed up to the Grovers too, so we'll see. Because of these two things, the headstock on mine looks really bold and I guess more modern than it would've originally. Which, surprisingly, I kind of dig.

Original '65 for comparison:

jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Van Ghents
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Anyone have a front shot of the Van Ghents?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JakeK wrote:The closest thing you could get to a 365 OS in the V series was the now discontinued 360V64 six string. Add a vibrato to one of those, and isn't that bascially what a 60s 360/365 OS is?
I don't think I'll be adding a vibrato to mine, thanks! :D
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Why not, Jeff?
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

I like the Accent even more than the trapeze, even when it's just used as a tailpiece with no bar. It fills up the space on the ramp better than a trapeze does. Rock solid for tuning as well.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I was never comfortable using any vibrato system, just not my style, I guess, playing-wise.

Is an Accent vibrato more stable than the trapeze regarding tuning stability? If so, then perhaps, I would consider one as they do look great.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Well nothing could be more solid than a trapeze, since it's just a piece of metal. I've got no opinion on the reissues, but if they're as thick and sturdy as this old one then there should be no tuning problems. Unless you go wild on it, of course.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

The Ac'cent on my 325 rarely takes the strings out of tune, only after heavy use.
Woodie

Post by Woodie »

Van Ghents would look lovely on this guitar, but they're held on by 2 screws, like Klusons, only the holes would be a little closer together. The one screw hole that's visible on the rear shot of the Van Ghents is a small machine screw that holds the cover for the tuning mechanism. Got a set right here for reference...
BlueAngel

Post by BlueAngel »

Woodie wrote:Van Ghents would look lovely on this guitar, but they're held on by 2 screws, like Klusons, only the holes would be a little closer together. The one screw hole that's visible on the rear shot of the Van Ghents is a small machine screw that holds the cover for the tuning mechanism. Got a set right here for reference...
That is correct. The Grovers are original because there is only one screw hole.

They're also much better tuners. I like the Van Ghents for what they are, and I wouldn't change out an original set, but they just don't work as well as the Grovers - and I'm very good at making original tuners work properly. If I added up the amount of money I've cost myself over the years by NOT fitting new tuners when someone comes to me with an old guitar that 'needs a new set because it won't stay in tune' (but showing them how to string and tune the originals correctly instead, and lubing where necessary) I could probably afford to buy this guitar...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I love using the Accent vibratos on my Ricks; all of my 6 strings have them, and they get used/abused regularly. It's the easiest RIC tailpiece to restring IMHO, as a whole, or individually, and despite the pointy handle end, I haven't jabbed myself or impaled my arm even once!

If you buy one though, make sure to remove the rubber feet on the bottom of the leaf spring and replace it with grey felt pads.
collin

Post by collin »

paologregorio wrote: It's the easiest RIC tailpiece to restring IMHO, as a whole, or individually,
For real?

I love the way they look, and I've got one on a guitar, but I thought that was the one part about them I hated- restringing took forever. I couldn't figure out how to get the ball end in the slot (and then down into their groove), and resorted to sliding the whole piece in with the six loose strings already in their respective slots.

Great tremelo though. Stays in tune and it's very user friendly, compared to so many strange 60's tremelo designs (still, nothing tops the Strat's , lame as that is to say..)

Cheers,
-Collin
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

collin wrote:
paologregorio wrote: It's the easiest RIC tailpiece to restring IMHO, as a whole, or individually,
For real?

I love the way they look, and I've got one on a guitar, but I thought that was the one part about them I hated- restringing took forever. I couldn't figure out how to get the ball end in the slot (and then down into their groove), and resorted to sliding the whole piece in with the six loose strings already in their respective slots.

Great tremelo though. Stays in tune and it's very user friendly, compared to so many strange 60's tremelo designs (still, nothing tops the Strat's , lame as that is to say..)

Cheers,
-Collin

You're most of the way there:

Remove the string anchor piece from the Accent and lay it on a clean towel, face-up.

Bend the ball end over at a right angle, carefully, with a pair of miniature needle-nosed pliers. Here you want to avoid nicking the string if possible--it can fracture at that point once stretched. Install each string in its place and tug on it sightly to seat it in the slot. Use a small bit of masking tape to hold the string in place and straight.

Attach the string anchor piece to the spring steel center section, and slide it carefully onto the tailpiece, which should be already fastened to the guitar. Sometimes you might have to loosen the strap button a bit to get some play in the tailpiece.

Now you can string the guitar. I begin with the low "E", and then do the high "E", just to get everything into line. Not too tight, because you can now slide the bridge into place before stringing the other four strings through the tuning posts.

Cutting lengths: Cut the low "E" and "A" one string post past their own. The remaining four can be cut 1 1/4, 1 1/2. 1 1/2, 1 1/2 string posts past their own posts. Insert the string into the post with about 1/4" sticking through the other side, turn the post so the string is now entering at an acute angle, and give the string a slight, firm "tug" to set the string in the post. Then finish winding; wind down toward the headstock to slightly increase the breakover angle at the nut. Clip the excess from 1/4" to about 1/8".

This will give you some (3-4 turns) string wrapped around the posts, but not too much so it goes constantly out of tune.

Tune to pitch, beginning with the low "E". Stretch each string as you tune it; it will take 3 or 4 run-throughs before everything is temsioned and it's all to pitch.

The Strat (vintage) vibrato (Leo messed up everyone's thinking by calling it a "tremelo"--not to mention misspelling "tremolo") is a good and spare "elegant" design, and darned attractive, from both aesthetic and engineering standpoints. My personal fave, however, is the Mosrite. A tad over-done, but lovely to look at and quite functional.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Geez, I just put the ball ends in one at a time and wind 'em up...push the arm down if the gap isn't big enough.

The Ac'cent is way better than the Strat vibrato, IMO, because of its sheer simplicity...no springs, no blocks, no trying to get the string end through those stupid little holes in the back...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”