Anyone have a bit of binding for my '72?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Anyone have a bit of binding for my '72?

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I have a little nuisance of a problem, and I'm hoping someone can help.

Last weekend, we had company, so I let some youngsters have a jam in the other room with my Stratocaster and 4001 and drums. But the 13-year-old guest who played my Rick took it upon himself to peel a bit of the binding off the neck. :shock: Worse yet, he didn't tell anyone, and in a panic, he threw it away. :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

So, days later, I realize my '72 4001 is missing about 8 inches of binding from the neck, on the G-string side. Hurts to play it, and hurts more to see it!

A re-fin is definitely in my future, but not yet within my means. Does anyone have a small length of neck binding I could buy for a temporary fix?

I know, I know...never let anyone touch an old Rick...in fact, they shouldn't even look at it... :oops:
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Re: Anyone have a bit of binding for my '72?

...or perhaps know what I should be ordering?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Mark, maybe send a PM to Paul. Perhaps he can either help you himself or steer you in the right direction. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Thanks Winston, will do.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Thats a bummer Mark i hope you get it sorted. :?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mark, just peel the rest of the binding off the G side, temporarily. I'll send you some binding. You'll have to trim it and then you can use Duco or thick super glue to put it back on.

Drop me a PM with your mailing address.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

You're a fine man, Mr. W!!

Thank you!
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

I brought over a little 1983 Electro ES-16 for a 7 year old last weekend, with the intent of leaving it with them for a month. I did stress to her dad that it would be a parental supervision type thing, keep in the case, etc. She played for a little while and then tossed it on the ground (she was sitting on the ground and it was a shag rug) but it made a good thump. Dad gave a little talk. About ten minutes later, she did the same thing. Shorty came home with me. :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Pete Townshend fan, no doubt. :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

xcoyle wrote:I brought over a little 1983 Electro ES-16 for a 7 year old last weekend, with the intent of leaving it with them for a month. I did stress to her dad that it would be a parental supervision type thing, keep in the case, etc. She played for a little while and then tossed it on the ground (she was sitting on the ground and it was a shag rug) but it made a good thump. Dad gave a little talk. About ten minutes later, she did the same thing. Shorty came home with me. :D
I bought my '83 ES-16 (October '83, to be exact--maybe the last batch of these made?) a few years back, for Juliana to play. She was 9 at the time. It was a swap meet deal, and came originally as an under-the-bed find from a garage sale in Huntington Beach, where it had apparently been bought new for a child to learn on. It had little stickers with note names all over the fretboard, rusty original strings, and a case that was nearly mint.

After I got it cleaned up and restrung, I looked at it long and hard...And then I went out and bought Juliana a $99.00 Fender mini-Strat, and painted it pearl pink. She still has it, although piano is now her first musical love...

Before cleaning...
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

jingle_jangle wrote:I looked at it long and hard...And then I went out and bought Juliana a $99.00 Fender mini-Strat...
:lol:

These are very cool...I never heard of this model until now.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mark, they still have a 22.5" scale, despite their dimunitive size. Same as the Duo Sonics and Musicmasters witjh shorter scales (these were also made with the 24" scale).
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I love my Mini Strat; it's a fun-playing little guitar. But I had to mod it a bit - the controls are a bit too close to the strings, so I removed them and hot wired the guitar. Mine also has a Tele bridge and rear pickup. Sounds really hot. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

When my son's ready, I think I will do the same. He doesn't deserve a lifetime of me saying, "remeber that Rickenbacker I gave you." :wink:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

kiramdear wrote:Pete Townshend fan, no doubt. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”