Anyone have a bit of binding for my '72?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Re: Anyone have a bit of binding for my '72?

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

jingle_jangle wrote:Mark, just peel the rest of the binding off the G side, temporarily. I'll send you some binding. You'll have to trim it and then you can use Duco or thick super glue to put it back on.

Drop me a PM with your mailing address.
Hey Paul, thanks again for the binding!

I'm going to use Duco to adhere the binding to the bass tonight and let it set...but when it comes time to trim, I have 3 questions:

-What's the best tool to use for this...Exacto knife?

-Is there a particular way I can set up the process so as to protect the neck from accidental nicks? (I'm horrified by the possibilities.)

-Once trimmed, do you also sand the newly trimmed binding, or simply cut it perfectly in the first place?

Again, thanks for the help. -mk
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You can use a sanding block with some #220 paper glued to it, to first--very carefully--shave the binding strip down to the height of the fret tops.

Buzz down between the frets, with a fine flat file about 3/4" wide and another about 1/4" wide for the upper fret areas. File at an angle to the edge (think of how a violin bow meets the strings when it's being played).

Done properly, this will not disturb the finish on the fretboard.

You can apply some clear nail polish over the new binding if you wish.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Excellent. Thanks again!
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

I just saw this thread, and I know my response is a bit late, but I still have to say: OUCH! I hope that kid's parents have put him into some kind of relocation protection program.

That being said, one of my classic blunders in the days of my less-than-insightful youth is worth telling for the sake of vicarious lesson. I was WEARING my '68 4001, and was adjusting the closure spacing on a large set of vice-grips. (Yes - this is about where you should cringe.) Can't recall how I was applying them in this scenario, but suddenly WHAM! The vice grips popped open, smacking the fretboard good and hard with the corrugated adjuster bolt.

It shattered the finish and damaged the fretwood just a tad in a good tylenol-sized chunk. I think it was Matt Stone at Bass NW who did the repair with a flawless superglue coverup.

Lesson I taught myself the hard way: NEVER adjust tools, heat soldering irons, open solvents, clean glue tubes, change blades, unwrap cords or cables, yadda yadda yadda... anywhere NEAR a guitar being worked on. Now I always have my tools & work area totally prepped before I even take the guitar out of the case. I'm sure this is covered in Guitar Repair Basics 101, but I played hooky that day, apparently.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

walker wrote: NEVER adjust tools, heat soldering irons, open solvents, clean glue tubes, change blades, unwrap cords or cables, yadda yadda yadda... anywhere NEAR a guitar being worked on.
Whoops! :oops:

Guilty, yer honor!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

jingle_jangle wrote:
Whoops! :oops:

Guilty, yer honor!
Et tu, Wilczynski? Et TU?
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

I think the best solution is to NEVER MAKE BLUNDERS.

I'm still working on that one...

Meanwhile, thanks to Paul, I did make the repair. I only replaced the binding that was missing, as the idea of repairing an entire side of it seemed like an open invitation to visit Blunderland. So, yeah, I have a two-tone binding job on that side of the neck, but at least I'm no longer gashing my finger on those exposed fret ends anymore.

Paul is an international treasure. Thanks again!
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

jingle_jangle wrote:... you can use Duco or thick super glue to put it back on.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm reattaching good CB binding back onto the body of a '72 4001, but the so-called "Super-Glue" isn't doing squat to adhere the checkerboard part of the binding to the wood. I tried using 'Loctite' brand - "Extra Time Control." I've noticed in past experiences than some brands of Super-Glue work better than others. Wasn't there an actual brand called 'Super-Glue?' Their patent must have expired, because now EVERYONE in the universe who makes glue has a "Super-Glue."

I like the idea of using "Super-Glue" (if it's actually effective) for the instant-bond aspect. Mark - you ended up using the Duco cement. About how long would you say it took to set?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”