Lets see your late 60's.. 360's. 21 Fret NS!

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigh

Re: Lets see your late 60's.. 360's. 21 Fret NS!

Post by 8mileshigh »

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

JakeK wrote:
leftybass wrote:Image
Love that finish. Is it FG or Autumnglo?
Jake, it's a really dark Fireglow. Many December '64 Rickenbackers have a finish like this....
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

8mileshigh wrote:Image
I think this is one of the coolest Rickenbackers I've ever seen, bar none.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

leftybass wrote:
I think this is one of the coolest Rickenbackers I've ever seen, bar none.
The Chet Cox Signature model 375 is one of my favourites as well. Interesting features on that one; "D" rather than "C" shaped neck, though still quite thin, and a slightly larger vintage style headstock-almost like a C58 headstock. :D
collin

Post by collin »

Ric_MEL wrote:Is there a premium on the sound quality of: the late 60's 21 fret 360 NS ( 6 or 12 string ) .. ( Vintage pickups and wider pickup spacing.. )

or is it really: a collector thing..

Like I said..."Garden variety as vintage Rics GET"

ie....yes, they're rarer than Gibson/Fender/Gretsch from the same period, but without a doubt the most common "vintage Ric" you will find available.

There are massive differences in the construction, tone, playability and sound between vintage (pre'70) Rics and later versions.

Not just the frets,either -- pickups, wiring, X-bracing internal body construction, thinner finishes are just a few of the functional differences. Other cosmetic differences that appeared later include different Fireglo spray patterns, disappearing checker binding, non-crushed pearl inlays, hardware change etc etc etc.

Basically nothing (not even the logo on the headstock) remained the same for standard issue 360 models after the 60's.

If you held/played both, you would immediately note the difference between the two.

(ps...yes, i'm a huge vintage snob, but the facts are all there...). :)
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

I see Chicago Music Exchange has a couple ..

a 1966 Fireglo 360NS 6 string,
.. and a 1967 Jetglo 360NS 6 string..

$4,995 !
collin

Post by collin »

Ric_MEL wrote:I see Chicago Music Exchange has a couple ..

a 1966 Fireglo 360NS 6 string,
.. and a 1967 360NS 6 string..

$4,995 !

They could add a couple dozen zeros after those figures, and it wouldn't mean squat until they sell one.

Go to www.gbase.com to see all the NS Rickenbacker listings. Prices all over the map (and most are too high).
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

I don't know where to begin.....so many cool Ricks on this thread. Except for the ones that Graham posted. Blech.

:mrgreen:
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

collin wrote: There are massive differences in the construction, tone, playability and sound between vintage (pre'70) Rics and later versions.

Not just the frets,either -- pickups, wiring, X-bracing internal body construction, thinner finishes are just a few of the functional differences. Other cosmetic differences that appeared later include different Fireglo spray patterns, disappearing checker binding, non-crushed pearl inlays, hardware change etc etc etc.
When talking about the cross bracings, are there actual differences between the 60's bracing and the cross bracing that continued until '84? Or are you just listing that as a major difference between modern era rics and vintage ones?
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
collin

Post by collin »

egosheep wrote:
collin wrote: There are massive differences in the construction, tone, playability and sound between vintage (pre'70) Rics and later versions.

When talking about the cross bracings, are there actual differences between the 60's bracing and the cross bracing that continued until '84? Or are you just listing that as a major difference between modern era rics and vintage ones?
I consider the "end" of the vintage era to be when they went to small inlays in the early 70's (like '72), though yes, the cross-braced bodies continued unchanged until '84 -- which is the true "modern era" for Rickenbacker, IMO.

Soundwise, I think that's the most critical difference (along with switch to Hi-Gain pickups), from the vintage era.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

JakeK wrote: Now a '63/'64 330/6 that ISN'T RoMo? Let's find one of those! :lol:
I could find only one 330-series model on the Register made in 1961 through 1965 w/out an f-hole, this 330 from 1961:
2 X 61-63 New Caprisx3001.jpg
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

jwilli wrote:I don't know where to begin.....so many cool Ricks on this thread. Except for the ones that Graham posted. Blech.
:mrgreen:
LOLOL
beatles beatnik

Post by beatles beatnik »

What is the story on this one, if I may ask?
Woodie

Post by Woodie »

jwilli wrote:I don't know where to begin.....so many cool Ricks on this thread. Except for the ones that Graham posted. Blech. :mrgreen:

John, YOU had the coolest '64 375OS I've ever seen, and it WAS autumnglo. Why did you sell it??? Still have any pics of that one?
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Here's my refinished Dec '64 375 NS. Very thin and narrow neck. It was originally FG and probably looked a lot like leftybass' 360. The top is pretty thin. All three toaster tops are long pole--the bridge is 12k, the others are ~7.5k and ~8.5k IIRC.

And here's an oddball from my collection. It's a Sept '72 360S-12 (export model with f-hole) that is all original. Toasters, thin top, checkered binding, neck very similar to the '64. It's very resonant.

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”