The Combo 800 - by Fano!

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ric_MEL

The Combo 800 - by Fano!

Post by Ric_MEL »

Speaking of Roger Rossmeisl..

Reading through the "Rickenbacker Electric 12 String" by Tony Bacon.. ( page 22/23 )

saw the picture of what they called " the first 'proper' six string Rickenbacker electric after Francis Hall took over " .. the Combo 800 ( still had horseshoe bridge pickup ) ..

Wow.. has cool body contour.. TV Yellow.. and apparently Roger Rossmeisl had recently been at Gibson. and pundits speculate maybe this was maybe his take on what was soon to be the Les Paul.. that he just may have seen in development..

I thought,.. man.. that is just an awesome looking guitar.... wouldn't it be awesome if Ric someday made a run of these

Soon thereafter.. I just had to do a doubletake when: I walked into my local ProGuitarshop store in Portland, OR

look at this Fano... Alt DeFacto RB6... ( not a cheap guitar at $2,800 ! )

Looks like a RIC Combo 800 to me!

http://proguitarshop.com/store/guitars- ... 081-p-2858
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: The Combo 800 - by Fano!

Post by iiipopes »

Yeah, that's not the only one. Hold a picture of a Washburn Idol series guitar next to a Combo 800 also, especially the top upper bout.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

I don't like the Fano copies... don't like the pickguard or the pickups, the bridges, etc. A Combo 800 doesn't look right to me without the horseshoes!

Fano has been making these for quite a while, though. One would assume that the Combo 800 shape itself is not copy-protected, otherwise it seems like he would have been sued by now.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

That is true. Nobody thought that much about those issues when the combo's were made, so the designs quietly slipped into the public domain.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

egosheep wrote:I don't like the Fano copies... don't like the pickguard or the pickups, the bridges, etc. A Combo 800 doesn't look right to me without the horseshoes!
I agree, but Fano isn't attempting to reproduce a Combo 800. He simply thought it was a cool body style that deserved a place in the realm of modern guitars. I see it as a tribute to a really great design, rather than as a gratuitous knock-off.

I've played a number of Fano guitars, never expecting them to emulate precisely the instruments that inspired them, and I've never been disappointed. They really are pretty cool guitars.

However, I do agree whole-heartedly that the pickguard on the RB6 looks as though it's been slapped on in a rather arbitrary manner. A couple of minutes with a screwdriver will remedy this. :wink:
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

The important part of the whole discussion is that the Combo shape is not copy protected. Now, how often do we get to say that around here? :)
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

RutleDirk wrote: Fano isn't attempting to reproduce a Combo 800. He simply thought it was a cool body style that deserved a place in the realm of modern guitars. I see it as a tribute to a really great design, rather than as a gratuitous knock-off.
This speaks to my original point. I thought the Combo 800 was very cool looking guitar ( even without any Horseshoe original pickups ).. and was happily surprised to see the style respected by Fano.. it's obvious it takes it's design cue from RIC

I was surprised there wasn't a copyright conflict.. and since there isn't.. I'm glad it's being made. I'd just as soon see Ric make 'em..

From the video sample on Proguitarshop.com.. ( of Fanos ).. they appear to be very nice guitars.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

The 800 body style is cool. I like the 850 body style even better; more curves and the deeper upper cutaway makes the guitar even more functional, IMO. :D
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

I don't like the early 800's as much, with the thicker body and less extreme German carve. The later solid body ones, which used the same pickguard shape as the 850's, are equally cool to an 850 in my mind.

They both have to be Turquoise of course! 8)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Of Course!!!

If I already had a TUR or two, I'd be cool with a TV yellow model, but definitely TUR as a first choice. I think Graham has a few of those, at least one with a Bigsby. I requested from GG that he not sell the Bigsby-equipped, TUR 850 just yet. . . :D
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

paologregorio wrote:Of Course!!!

If I already had a TUR or two, I'd be cool with a TV yellow model, but definitely TUR as a first choice. I think Graham has a few of those, at least one with a Bigsby. I requested from GG that he not sell the Bigsby-equipped, TUR 850 just yet. . . :D
I'll give you 12% of the purchase price if you will let me use it one month a year. :)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

egosheep wrote:

I'll give you 12% of the purchase price if you will let me use it one month a year. :)
:?:
Not 8.33%?
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

jdogric12 wrote:
egosheep wrote:

:?:
Not 8.33%?
:oops: Math was never my strong suit, J...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”