approximate value of '65 rick model 420?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: approximate value of '65 rick model 420?

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

ptooey wrote:Brian- I like to play all kinds of music from 50s til now, rock mostly(all genres). I don't necessarily use the 420 for all that; I also have a '75 Strat (post-CBS junk extensively modified)that I use as my everyday guitar. How about yourself- what do you like to play? Is that your 320 in the pic?
Patrick:

Yes that is my 320 in my avatar...

Musically my three big influences are John Lennon (and the rest of the Beatles), Chris De Burgh (An Irish singer songwriter mainly known for one awful kitche MOR hit in the mid 80s which is absolutely nothing like the rest of his music), and a Canadian song writer (from here in Hamilton) named Stan Rogers who died in a plane crash in 1983... I have been playing their music now for more then 20/30 years...

I have played Rickenbackers since getting my first one at age 17 in 1982.... I have 10 guitars (a Larivee, 3 Ovations, a Yamaha, an Epiphone, a Framus) and two basses, (including a Hofner 500/1) but it is the RICS that give me the most pleasure... Which is why I hang out here so much! :) :) :)

Here are a few pics of mine from over the years...
Small family1.jpg
small 320B.jpg
Small eighties 620's.jpg
small brian and 12ric.jpg
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

The fact that its jetglo boosts up the price IMO.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

IvanMunoz wrote:The fact that its jetglo boosts up the price IMO.
That because, as TC and CJ have taught us all, that JETGLO ROCKS!!! 8)
ptooey

Post by ptooey »

Brian- nice pics! Awesome guitars all. I generally like to play stuff that has a harder more aggressive edge to it- early Who, Kinks, Beatles, Stones etc. all the way to the Stooges(big fan), MC5, garage-y psych, early punk/new wave e.g. Ramones, Jam, Clash, Buzzcocks; glam a la Bowie, Mott the Hoople, NY Dolls; to new stuff like Bad Religion, Social Distortion, STP and Foo Fighters/QotSA/Them Crooked Vultures. Also like blues rock- Clapton, Hendrix, Trower, SRV, Rory Gallagher(!) and old/new rockabilly & psychobilly. Also at the insistence of my girlfriend some Dave Matthews and Train. Men will do anything for...women. lol
Ivan- I'm gonna feel stupid for asking this, but what is IMO? Jetglo does rock, though! Seems every electric guitar I have ever owned had the black body/white pickguard combo save for an old National Tele which was blonde/white. Funny how it just seemed to work out that way.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

ptooey wrote:Brian- nice pics! Awesome guitars all. I generally like to play stuff that has a harder more aggressive edge to it- early Who, Kinks, Beatles, Stones etc. all the way to the Stooges(big fan), MC5, garage-y psych, early punk/new wave e.g. Ramones, Jam, Clash, Buzzcocks; glam a la Bowie, Mott the Hoople, NY Dolls; to new stuff like Bad Religion, Social Distortion, STP and Foo Fighters/QotSA/Them Crooked Vultures. Also like blues rock- Clapton, Hendrix, Trower, SRV, Rory Gallagher(!) and old/new rockabilly & psychobilly. Also at the insistence of my girlfriend some Dave Matthews and Train. Men will do anything for...women. lol
Ivan- I'm gonna feel stupid for asking this, but what is IMO? Jetglo does rock, though! Seems every electric guitar I have ever owned had the black body/white pickguard combo save for an old National Tele which was blonde/white. Funny how it just seemed to work out that way.
IMO means in my opinion, IMHO means in my humble opinion. Here is a link to the RRF acronym list. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you I must have skipped over this post.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=389887
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

8mileshigher wrote:Curious, what function does the three-position toggle switch do on a single pickup Ric ?
A better way to describe this is to think of the three settings as follows:

-tone all the way down (aka "mud" switch)
-tone knob in play
-tone all the way up

I used to own some tulips that were wired this way.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jdogric12 wrote:
8mileshigher wrote:Curious, what function does the three-position toggle switch do on a single pickup Ric ?
A better way to describe this is to think of the three settings as follows:

-tone all the way down (aka "mud" switch)
-tone knob in play
-tone all the way up

I used to own some tulips that were wired this way.
I never knew that, thats pretty cool!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome, Patrick! That is a lovely 420 you have there!

There are a number of us here who love the 400 series - I have a model 460 BG (Burgundy) that I use nearly all of the time, plus I have a 450v63 JG and a 450v63 BG. They all play like butter and sound great!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
ptooey

Post by ptooey »

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been on the Forum in a while, have been busy at work and at home with various projects. Thanks so much to all who replied to my questions- great info and answers. You guys in the greater Rick family are the absolute best. Really glad that Rickenbacker referred me to this Forum.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

ptooey wrote:... Really glad that Rickenbacker referred me to this Forum.
8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”