1965 Model 330 MG corrected Info and PHOTOS

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

analogpackrat

Re: 1965 Model 330 MG corrected Info and PHOTOS

Post by analogpackrat »

Beauty! I thought the all black knobs went out in late '63 or early '64 for non-RoMo models?
If it is to be, it is up to me.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

analogpackrat wrote:I thought the all black knobs went out in late '63 or early '64 for non-RoMo models?
That's been the conventional wisdom, but this example seems to be an exception.

I've seen at least one other 1965 US model, a 615, with original black knobs.

Perhaps RIC "phased out" the supply of black knobs in '64-'65 by using them on certain models.
leonvi@consumer

Post by leonvi@consumer »

OK.....Just when I thought I finally knew everything about my guitar. I find I don't. One piece top/Three piece top? I guess youre talking about the front of the guitar. Or do you mean the whole body part?Looks like the front is one solid piece of wood to me. How do I tell what I have.??
Vinnie
marc61

Post by marc61 »

leonvi@consumer wrote:OK.....Just when I thought I finally knew everything about my guitar. I find I don't. One piece top/Three piece top? I guess youre talking about the front of the guitar. Or do you mean the whole body part?Looks like the front is one solid piece of wood to me. How do I tell what I have.??
Vinnie
You have a three piece top on the front. You can see it in the grain.
leonvi@consumer

Post by leonvi@consumer »

People are STRAAAAAANGE. I listed my 1965 330 mg on craigslist. So far I've got nothing but pains in the butt.With alot of stories and NO MONEY. If you list anything on CL beware of all the scammers
collin

Post by collin »

leonvi@consumer wrote:People are STRAAAAAANGE. I listed my 1965 330 mg on craigslist. So far I've got nothing but pains in the butt.With alot of stories and NO MONEY. If you list anything on CL beware of all the scammers
Whoa, you mean Craigslist is full of cheap penny-pinchers and tire-kickers? :shock: :lol:

Seriously though, I'm quite happy to buy on Craigslist, but it's the worst place to try and sell rare vintage gear or anything of value online. That's a gorgeous 330 at a fairly good price - in my opinion, it would be worth the effort and hassle to sell it on eBay and not deal with time-wasters. Good luck!
t17137

Post by t17137 »

I would like to clarify the comments made regarding the 1965 serial numbers being on the back of the head and covered by lacquer.
In 1964 the demand for the Rick was very high and because there was such a low production rate, the waiting time was about one year.
Mine was shipped in 1965 to Long and McQuade a reputable music store in Toronto, Canada and it was a beautiful thing to behold. The Beatles were hot and since John Lennon played one, a lot of musicians in Toronto also wanted one. Groups that came to see our show also came to see the Rick.
Yes that was the way they serialized the 330 models that year, I checked that with the Rickenbacker factory. Their reason was to make them temper proof since jack plates with the serial numbers were easily removed and stolen.
I hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

t17137

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”