vintage case

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Albertn

vintage case

Post by Albertn »

Hi
I have just aquired a 1966 330/12 mapleglo in its original case. The case hasn't fared as well as the guitar, and the 330 rattles around a bit (not surprising after 40 odd years of use). Does anyone know of custom inserts that would snugly fit the guitar? I'm thinking foam cushioning covered in a simalar material. I don't want to referbish the actual case as I'm a bit of a purist :-), but would like a more secure fit.
The inside top E string machine head is also a bit bent. Has nayone tried to straighten one of these, or is it too risky?
Thanx
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: vintage case

Post by kiramdear »

Foam inserts sounds like a good solution, but be careful to use a material that won't be off-gassing and wrecking your finish. Use photo foam, the type used to pack cameras. And your bent tuner can be straightened. I would let a pro handle that unless I was confident with tools. A mishap would be sad.

Congratulations on your '66. Can you manage a few pictures for us? :)

Welcome to the forum! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Welcome Nigel.

Why don't you just get another case for carrying the guitar in and leave the original in a spot where it won't receive any further damage?
collin

Post by collin »

marc61 wrote:Welcome Nigel.

Why don't you just get another case for carrying the guitar in and leave the original in a spot where it won't receive any further damage?

+1

Don't bother with trying to make the vintage case work better -- even brand new they weren't the best protection for your guitar (in fact, they flop around like a fish inside). Just get a new SKB Ric case or reissue silver tolex case, and put the old one in storage. Your guitar will thank you...
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

If you are not planning on carrying this guitar around very much, you can get a medium-sized bath towel, fold it twice, and lay it on top of the guitar in case then close the case. This should provide enough padding to keep the guitar stable for around the house or until you locate a better case.
Rick

Post by Rick »

One of my Rics is a 660/12 in a vintage-style case. Scared the beejeebers out of me the first time I hear it rattling around inside when I was carrying the guitar somewhere.

I now use the towel-solution, which is also handy for spilled beer, nacho-fingers & tell-tale lipstick. Just remember to fold the dirty side inwards when re-using it in the case ... and then toss it in the washing machine when you are back home, quickly, before your significant-other finds the evidence. :wink:
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Rick wrote:One of my Rics is a 660/12 in a vintage-style case. Scared the beejeebers out of me the first time I hear it rattling around inside when I was carrying the guitar somewhere.

I now use the towel-solution, which is also handy for spilled beer, nacho-fingers & tell-tale lipstick. Just remember to fold the dirty side inwards when re-using it in the case ... and then toss it in the washing machine when you are back home, quickly, before your significant-other finds the evidence. :wink:
So, do you kiss your guitar before or after eating nachos? And doesn't your significant other notice her lipstick gone missing?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”