German carved Capri

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bvstudios

Re: German carved Capri

Post by bvstudios »

Werner- I've removed the date for you (with apologies to the OP), it is a nice image... Should look good on your wall.
Attachments
002nn.JPG
360dave
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave »

bvstudios wrote:Werner- I've removed the date for you (with apologies to the OP), it is a nice image... Should look good on your wall.
Kevin....how you do dat???
Pretty slick man....I was just gittin ready to shoot another picture without the date.....I'll take note of that next time!
If anyone thinks enough of that picture...without the date....feel free to hang it on your wall...great idea!
360dave
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave »

Here's another vid that shows Burton with that 381 or whatever it was.
Looks like a trapeze tailpiece.
Keep in mind that Burton was probably getting promo money from RIC for appearing with this instrument on a national very popular TV show at the time.
He sure reeled me in!

In an interview by a magazine, Burton said that he used a 53' Telecaster on all of Nelson's recordings.
The first two or three of Nelson's recordings were done with Joe Maphis...but I don't know what type of guitar he used other than it definately was too early for a Mosrite.
The Maphis licks sounded corny....but Joe wasn't called 'King of the Strings' for nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RWUC48MVdY
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

360dave wrote:Kevin....how you do dat???
He must be the man behind the facial cream ads - photoshop magic! Thanks Kevin!

Talking about rare! Anybody know if that Ric acoustic in the previous post's video still exists?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

360dave wrote:Here's another vid that shows Burton with that 381 or whatever it was.
Looks like a trapeze tailpiece.
Keep in mind that Burton was probably getting promo money from RIC for appearing with this instrument on a national very popular TV show at the time.
He sure reeled me in!

In an interview by a magazine, Burton said that he used a 53' Telecaster on all of Nelson's recordings.
The first two or three of Nelson's recordings were done with Joe Maphis...but I don't know what type of guitar he used other than it definately was too early for a Mosrite.
The Maphis licks sounded corny....but Joe wasn't called 'King of the Strings' for nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RWUC48MVdY
In that video, it looks like a more generic archtop tailpiece to me... as seen on come capri's of that era.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

Wildberry wrote:
360dave wrote:Kevin....how you do dat???
He must be the man behind the facial cream ads - photoshop magic! Thanks Kevin!

Nope, never have done a face cream ad, but my other hobby is outdoor fine art photography, and sometimes something unwanted does need to be removed from the finished product. The cloning brush is a wonderful tool..

Enjoy!
jfine
Professional Player

Post by jfine »

That "I Got A Feeling" clip is cool, but it's pretty apparent they were lip-synching. Burton's guitar sounds like a Tele, although I suppose it could have been the Rickenbacker; some of them can sound quite Tele-like, but the giveaway for me was that the bass on the track is definitely electric bass, played with an eighth-note boogie feel, while the bass player in the video (James Kirkland?) is playing an upright acoustic bass with what appears to be a quarter-note swing feel. Actually, since they were miming, he probably wasn't playing anything. Sometimes it's hard to tell--I've seen clips that looked pretty accurate--but I think this one was lip-synched--real common on TV.
360dave
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave »

jfine wrote:That "I Got A Feeling" clip is cool, but it's pretty apparent they were lip-synching. Burton's guitar sounds like a Tele, although I suppose it could have been the Rickenbacker; some of them can sound quite Tele-like, but the giveaway for me was that the bass on the track is definitely electric bass, played with an eighth-note boogie feel, while the bass player in the video (James Kirkland?) is playing an upright acoustic bass with what appears to be a quarter-note swing feel. Actually, since they were miming, he probably wasn't playing anything. Sometimes it's hard to tell--I've seen clips that looked pretty accurate--but I think this one was lip-synched--real common on TV.
That's right Jon....Burton used a 53' Tele on the 'I Got A Feeling' recording.
However....I have experimented a bit with different tone caps on my 60' 360 and by diddling the cap value and type of cap...I was able to make it sound similar to the Tele heard on this vid....and in the process I found the Strat quack!
Part of the tone is the occasional pop of the strings caused by over picking....ie...digging in too hard...on purpose of course.
I got rid of that duck quick though....kaff kaff...

Best to all

Dave

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”