450 12-string?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

joe cook

450 12-string?

Post by joe cook »

Greetings,

I'd welcome any objective views / comments on the sound and playability of the mid-1960s 450 12-string solid body... I have a Fender XII and a Burns DoubleSix and am wondering how the 450 would compare and contrast?

Thanks for your comments...

Joe
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 450 12-string?

Post by jdogric12 »

It would have (as Rick 12's do) more bite and less shimmer.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I can't comment on the Burns, but the Rick is going to have a MUCH skinnier nut-width/string spacing than the XII and a better-sounding bridge pickup (for that typical jangle sound anyway). The XII, in my experience, has more of a lush sound to it, but falls short on the Byrds thing.

The body of the 450 is also quite diminutive - about half as thick as a Telecaster and smaller too.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Ooo-wee!
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

I see this topic has been off the shelf for a while but I just stumbled onto this YouTube vid by one of my favorite blues guys, John Mayall. He's been playing a flower power 450/12 for years:

Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Cool footage. Had no idea he played one. Wouldn't mind having one of the later 450/12s.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

manta wrote:I see this topic has been off the shelf for a while but I just stumbled onto this YouTube vid by one of my favorite blues guys, John Mayall. He's been playing a flower power 450/12 for years:
...looks like he played over a Roland JC 120, heavy stuff :cry:
guitman
Professional Player

Post by guitman »

I've played a 450-12 for many years. I've used it for Power Pop when I was with Flamin' Groovies and played hard rock and blues on it with Loose Gravel and the thing is really versatile as well as being a beautiful piece of really clean design, a nice, light, neck-through maple plank. My main complaint is the same one I have for every Rick I've owned, I don't like lacquered fingerboards. The neck pickup sounds fat and jazzy and the bridge pickup has the usual bright, piercing, knife-edged treble that Rickenbacker toaster pickups are known for. I rewired my 450 for stereo and usually use it with 2 amps. I really like it for blues, a chore which it handles better than the 360-12 I had back in the '60s. I would like to try out some button pickups in the guitar since the toasters are a little low output for my taste but the guitar does sound great despite the low output pickups.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - Sprung
collin

Post by collin »

guitman wrote:I've played a 450-12 for many years. I've used it for Power Pop when I was with Flamin' Groovies and played hard rock and blues on it with Loose Gravel and the thing is really versatile as well as being a beautiful piece of really clean design, a nice, light, neck-through maple plank. My main complaint is the same one I have for every Rick I've owned, I don't like lacquered fingerboards. The neck pickup sounds fat and jazzy and the bridge pickup has the usual bright, piercing, knife-edged treble that Rickenbacker toaster pickups are known for. I rewired my 450 for stereo and usually use it with 2 amps. I really like it for blues, a chore which it handles better than the 360-12 I had back in the '60s. I would like to try out some button pickups in the guitar since the toasters are a little low output for my taste but the guitar does sound great despite the low output pickups.
Mike, great to see you on the RRF! 8)

I'm a big fan of your work with The Charlatans (and also Flamin' Groovies), I'll need to check out Loose Gravel as well!
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

I have the Loose Gravel 45 "Frisco Band"/"Waiting In Line". Great single!
guitman
Professional Player

Post by guitman »

My rig in Flamin' Groovies: Twin Reverb and Dual Showman amps w/JBL speakers. Stereo guitars: Ric 450-12 w/toaster PUs, '54 Gretsch Country Club, Ric 360 w/button PUs & Bigsby B11 tailpiece.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - Sprung
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Hi Mike,

Great to hear you join this. "Take Me Back" has been a favorite of mine and I assume your 450 was the chime on that song. I really love seeing some of the YouTube clips of you with that '54 Gretsch. A true classic. I had a 450/6 in my youth, bought at least in part from seeing you play. Thanks for the insights and all the great music, especially blues. :)
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
guitman
Professional Player

Post by guitman »

There are 3 twelve strings on Take Me Back. Besides my 450, there is Chris Wilson's Gretsch 12 and Cyril's 360. I believe Cyril also recorded another very sparse overdub part on the 360-12, just a few notes here and there where he felt it needed a bit more. There's a whole lot of chime there with all those parts + a Mellotron played by Cyril or Cyril and Chris both, I forget which.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”