71 360 SF what should I pay?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dpartn

71 360 SF what should I pay?

Post by dpartn »

I have someone offering me a 1971 360 SF model. I normally just collect Fenders, but have always wanted a 360. though have heard the slanted fret model was not exactly something many desired and it was short lived. This one has a serial number which references May 1971. The original owner is firm on $900. he has the original receipt where he paid $380 back in December 71 in Hawaii. Is $900 a fair price? thanks for any input. photos on my Photobucket link below.
http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/dpart ... t=3&page=1
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: 71 360 SF what should I pay?

Post by libratune »

dpartn wrote:I have someone offering me a 1971 360 SF model. I normally just collect Fenders, but have always wanted a 360. though have heard the slanted fret model was not exactly something many desired and it was short lived. This one has a serial number which references May 1971. The original owner is firm on $900. he has the original receipt where he paid $380 back in December 71 in Hawaii. Is $900 a fair price? thanks for any input. photos on my Photobucket link below.
Pay the man $900, take that guitar and run! I see there is a binding problem on the back, but assuming all else is in order, that is a steal at $900. These don't come up for sale that often but dealers have been asking $3000+ for a 71 360 slant fret in FG or MG with checkered back binding.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Like Ron said. $900 is a steal.
collin

Post by collin »

Buy it and quick.

If you don't like it, plenty of us here would be glad to help you double or triple your money really quick. ;)
dpartn

Post by dpartn »

Thanks for the input. Have arranged to get it on Tuesday night. Will advise how I like. I appreciate the information. From what I've read this style with the frets didn't go over well and didn't last long in production. Sometimes thats a good thing. Sometimes it's not. I wasn't sure on this one.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

From the pic the SN looks like KE 291 or KE 251

A nice example at a real deal... Almost ANY Rickenbacker for less then a grand is a deal... :P :P
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
dpartn

Post by dpartn »

Well, I got it tonight. Seems other than a temperamental toggle switch and the back binding issues noted in the photo, all is good. I am not entirely sure it's the guitar for me. Not sure yet. I've only played it through a tweed Champ clone, the amp I had handy to test it. my least favorite amp. I have several quality amps I might try it though. I have several Fender brownface amps and 50s tweeds. I also have a 72 Hiwatt Dr-103 and a newer Marshall combo as well. Going to put it through the paces and see what tones come forth. Might have to replace the toggle switch as it is not making good contact and seems physically in less than perfect shape. it works, but not cleanly.

I am not sure how my fingers like the slanted frets yet. Definitely different. Still wondering what I will do with it. Like the neck. Got to see what it's full potential is yet.....
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

This guy plays a slant fret Rick solidbody 481. Different model than yours, but the slant angle and scale is the same.

Serge of Kasabian:
tumblr_m4utx0kha61qaoo59o1_500.jpg
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

It looks perfectly natural there. I must admit, I struggled with my SF.
collin

Post by collin »

dpartn wrote:
I am not sure how my fingers like the slanted frets yet. Definitely different. Still wondering what I will do with it. Like the neck. Got to see what it's full potential is yet.....

I take it you don't like it?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/3898655187.html

I'll gladly take it off your hands at the old price. :wink:
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

libratune wrote:
dpartn wrote:I have someone offering me a 1971 360 SF model. I normally just collect Fenders, but have always wanted a 360. though have heard the slanted fret model was not exactly something many desired and it was short lived. This one has a serial number which references May 1971. The original owner is firm on $900. he has the original receipt where he paid $380 back in December 71 in Hawaii. Is $900 a fair price? thanks for any input. photos on my Photobucket link below.
Pay the man $900, take that guitar and run! I see there is a binding problem on the back, but assuming all else is in order, that is a steal at $900. These don't come up for sale that often but dealers have been asking $3000+ for a 71 360 slant fret in FG or MG with checkered back binding.
I'd break my hand getting my wallet out. Buy it.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

collin wrote:
dpartn wrote:

Good eye Collin! Do the old price + $100 to seal the deal!
Whoops, asking $3795??? That's quite the flip!
collin

Post by collin »

libratune wrote:
collin wrote:
dpartn wrote:

Good eye Collin! Do the old price + $10 to seal the deal!
Thanks Ron, I can't take credit though - Sir Ricardo pointed it out in the other thread. Glad to know we're dishing out investment advice for free. At the very least he could have offered it back up to the RRF (even at double the price or more), where we gave him advice to buy it.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

collin wrote:... At the very least he could have offered it back up to the RRF (even at double the price or more), where we gave him advice to buy it.
+1

IMO it's now overpriced at $3795 in this economy.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
dpartn

Post by dpartn »

I ended up taking $3000 for it about a month ago. But had to chuckle that despite the speculation that I was on the high end, the guitar pops up from the guy I sold it to on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/300972350006?ss ... 1555.l2649
Sorry, but I figured when I was told here that it could potentially get three times what I paid, I figured $3K. For a Craigslist ad I added some haggle room to it hence the 3700 asking price (I would have and finally did take $3,000).
but this guy has it at $6800!????! :shock: :shock: I figure he is playing the same method I did by overpricing it in hopes to get less. But he has $3,000 in it, so not sure where his acceptable range is of what he would actually sell it for!
I ended up getting two subsequent offers of $3,000 for it. So it was clearly market value for where I was advertising. I have no clue how this guy thinks he will get a bump high enough to make him a profit after ebay and potential paypal fees. But hey, whatever works.

And to answer the earlier question, nope, never did take to those slanted frets. I will feel content having gambled and tripled my money. So I came out ok. The new owner? Unless he is going to come down a lot is likely to be sitting on it for some time to come.

And I do appreciate the confirmation to buy it. I was also told it could be worth 2-3 times the price I paid. The only reason I didn't post it back here is because I really wanted to have a local cash and carry deal if at all possible. I don't do paypal, nor like to ship stuff. So nothing personal. I do appreciate the advise I got here. I am not a big Rick person, so I do not frequent the board and didn't see the last posts that were made when I had put it on Craigslist.
I just found it noteworthy to come back and mention I thought the new owner was a bit out of his mind putting it on ebay a month after getting it from me and then more than doubling the asking price. But I guess thats not the first time a dealer has done that.

thanks for the input when I asked. It was appreciated.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”