Help to pay for our Ricky got a extra $5?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ransom

Help to pay for our Ricky got a extra $5?

Post by Ransom »

*The Life story of a 1966 Rickenbacker 360 Guitar Serial # 2992

In 1969 Wally purchased his dream guitar, A 1966 Rickenbacker 360 Autumn Glo with a silver case. The guitar sang with him at the Hollywood Palladium on sunset blvd in 1970. With this guitar he signed with Johnny Robinson Agency and toured the Midwest. He returned to Los Angeles County and played the nightclub circuit for years. In 1974 Wally wrote a song about his "Ricky", boy does this guitar sing beautifully. In 1996 Wally was remodeling this home base studio, so he rented a space at public storage in Stanton. All his stage equipment, amps, speakers, lighting and guitar, bass and keyboard put in storage to protect it. Two months later he returned to pickup his equipment. He slid up the door to an empted room. Everything was gone.
The day the music died.

Stolen over 17 years ago

Recovered 10-09-2013 on the news KTLA 5

KTLA-5 http://ktla.com/2013/10/09/local-musici ... years-ago/

O. C. Register http://www.ocregister.com/articles/welc ... uitar.html

http://www.youcaring.com/other/ransom-m ... itar/97001

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCma7reI ... ajw/videos
Last edited by Ransom on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ransom

Re: Help to pay for our Ricky

Post by Ransom »

If you have an extra $5 we would be truly greatful
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Help to pay for our Ricky got a extra $5?

Post by libratune »

Recent thread here by Wally on this story: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=410171
Ransom

Post by Ransom »

I know Wally is on and posted a thread, He is so happy to get Ricky back. He is also too proud to ask for help, so I am. Thank you

I have set up a paypal account: wallywelch@yahoo.com or you can sent a check to:
Wally Welch c/o Audrey Welch at PO Box 3035, Cypress, CA 90630
scotty

Post by scotty »

Whatttttt?

Seriously just so i can get my head round this you would like people to donate you $5 to help pay for a guitar that was stolen then found.. Ok you had to buy it back but why are you asking for a donation?
Surely if you need some money you should just sell the guitar or indeed if you couldnt afford it, why then did you actually buy it?
Im not purposely trying to be rude but many many people on the RRF and in life either save up for something or sell something to fund a purchase.I find asking for money for a guitar actually offensive.If it was for something like helping a child or a family member through difficult times i could digest that but for funding a recovered guitar im sorry thats beyond my charitable nature.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

SN is actually Fi 2992 - Sept 1966

Glad to hear he got it back - sorry that cost so much! The median average for a similar 1966 360 is only $2800 - I know guitar prices are more in the UK but $5200 seems high to me for its return..

Still value is in the eye of the beholder as they say...
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

scotty wrote:Whatttttt?

Seriously just so i can get my head round this you would like people to donate you $5 to help pay for a guitar that was stolen then found.. Ok you had to buy it back but why are you asking for a donation?
Surely if you need some money you should just sell the guitar or indeed if you couldnt afford it, why then did you actually buy it?
Im not purposely trying to be rude but many many people on the RRF and in life either save up for something or sell something to fund a purchase.I find asking for money for a guitar actually offensive.If it was for something like helping a child or a family member through difficult times i could digest that but for funding a recovered guitar im sorry thats beyond my charitable nature.
I have to agree with Scotty. This displays borderline bad taste.

Did you edit out your Kickstarter link, BTW?
collin

Post by collin »

deaconblues wrote:
scotty wrote:Whatttttt?

I have to agree with Scotty. This displays borderline bad taste.

Did you edit out your Kickstarter link, BTW?

+1

Let's make sure this is perfectly clear - you had to pay to get the guitar back because the statute of limitations ran out, NOT because the guitar is in the UK.

I'm glad Wally got his guitar back, that's a beautiful story and it received a ton of publicity for him, but let's not turn this into a opportunistic endeavor....if you still had a legal claim to the guitar, I'm sure you could have gotten it back for free. :roll:

...I'll continue to donate to worthy charitable organizations that use the money for selfless causes.
collin

Post by collin »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote: The median average for a similar 1966 360 is only $2800 - I know guitar prices are more in the UK but $5200 seems high to me for its return..

Brian, that emphasizes one of the worst aspects of the register.... it doesn't account for condition!

$5K is a perfectly reasonable price for a clean 60's 360/12 with a rich Fireglo color and most importantly - a perfect neck set.

Once you mess with these variables, especially the neck set, the price can fall dramatically.... finding a clean, good looking 360/12 with a perfect neck set isn't so easy, and prices reflect that.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

collin wrote:
Ontario_RIC_fan wrote: The median average for a similar 1966 360 is only $2800 - I know guitar prices are more in the UK but $5200 seems high to me for its return..

Brian, that emphasizes one of the worst aspects of the register.... it doesn't account for condition!

$5K is a perfectly reasonable price for a clean 60's 360/12 with a rich Fireglo color and most importantly - a perfect neck set.

Once you mess with these variables, especially the neck set, the price can fall dramatically.... finding a clean, good looking 360/12 with a perfect neck set isn't so easy, and prices reflect that.
It's a 6 string 360 -- I don't know how that affects the value.
Ransom

Post by Ransom »

I sorry my post has upset you so badly, Wally was so excited to find his guitar in the UK. That I had NO choice but to go borrower the money from the bank to pay for it back. I guess you don’t understand the emotional attachment to a guitar that you have been searching for, for over 17 years. I will have my post removed, you are right it is not like we are dying of cancer. We are just an old retired couple on a fixed income. We are blessed just to get it back. Sorry again.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ransom wrote:I sorry my post has upset you so badly, Wally was so excited to find his guitar in the UK. That I had NO choice but to go borrower the money from the bank to pay for it back. I guess you don’t understand the emotional attachment to a guitar that you have been searching for, for over 17 years. I will have my post removed, you are right it is not like we are dying of cancer. We are just an old retired couple on a fixed income. We are blessed just to get it back. Sorry again.
We all understand the idea of an emotional attachment to a musical instrument very well, really. it's the concept of someone asking for a handout from us to cover their choice to purchase the guitar that we question. Especially so, from someone who is new here and their first post is asking us for money!
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

All of that said, I'm leaning towards throwing these seemingly-nice folks a coupalah bucks . . .

My 2 cents ... :|
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

collin wrote:

Actually, as someone who sees the instruments that are being added to the register - mint/near mint vintage 360/6 are being sold on eBay for not more than 3.5K since 2009 (the starting point for the pricelist).
The register ignores butchered instruments and any modded/non original instrument. Instruments that have a serious fix normally get a "modded" special model in order to make sure they won't go into the pricelist.
If you'll look at the vintage 360/6 price graph you'll see that generally speaking - the price never goes higher than $3.4K (very exceptional mint condition), normally is around $2.5-2.8K (near-mint instruments), then it gets down to the $2K area and sometimes dips below $1K (beaten instruments)
It's actually very easy to make a good call for the right price when you combine the average/median/low/high statistics on the collected data AND look at the graph.

As for the thread itself - to be honest, although it might be inappropriate I can feel the pain of the nice couple. I would have done the same probably so I leave it up to Peter to decide what to do with the thread. I am going to send out some money though as I am sure I would have wanted people to help me if I were at the same spot.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you think about it, a main reason for our existence here is a love for Rickenbacker guitars. The request for help is basic to all of us when we find ourselves in need. While a request for a donation under these circumstances may offend some at the same time it will touch the heart of others.

Each one of us will decide who we will to help here and for what reason. Going out of your way to help another get an instrument back as in this situation is surely not something that many people would do.

A difficulty with trying to reach out in cyberspace is assessing the legitimacy of the situation which I have not seen questioned here.

I wish Audrey well and will leave the thread for now. It is a rare and unusual post for the RRF but that in and of itself should not make it unworthy.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”