360 Mapleglo 6 string guitar

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

alnicov

360 Mapleglo 6 string guitar

Post by alnicov »

A customer brought in a 360 that looks to be made in the 60's or possibly the 70's that needs a neck reset. Does anyone know what's involved in re-setting the neck? It looks like the back would have to be removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 360 Mapleglo 6 string guitar

Post by jdogric12 »

Yep. It needs to be done by someone who knows Ricks real well. I would not "learn" the procedure on a vintage Rick.
collin

Post by collin »

alnicov wrote: It looks like the back would have to be removed.
Nope.

I've done at least three neck resets without removing the back, there is a lot of misinformation around about Ricks (even on this forum..).

If the guitar has a three-piece top (making it mid-1966 or earlier), it is easier.

Use the search function of this site, I believe I documented the entire process years ago. It's not rocket science, but it's not like a Gibson or Gretsch reset either..
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Duh, I'm so stupid! Completely forgot about that. Listen to Collin, not me! :oops: :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

jdogric12 wrote:Duh, I'm so stupid! Completely forgot about that. Listen to Collin, not me! :oops: :lol:

Aww shucks, that's an overstatement for sure JDog... but you're right. They need to be sent to somebody who knows Ricks very well!

Problem with removing the back (besides that it's unnecessary in many case) is that you have to refinish the entire body, and that's a cryin shame for any vintage guitar, IMO.
alnicov

Post by alnicov »

Collin,
yes, it a three piece top. I've done plenty of neck resets on most acoustic and electric guitars including a vintage Epiphone Newport bass leaving the finish intact - and THAT wasn't easy. I'll check out your post on the process. Thanks!
collin

Post by collin »

alnicov wrote:Collin,
yes, it a three piece top. I've done plenty of neck resets on most acoustic and electric guitars including a vintage Epiphone Newport bass leaving the finish intact - and THAT wasn't easy. I'll check out your post on the process. Thanks!

Good deal - PM me if can't find the link/thread.
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

collin wrote:Problem with removing the back (besides that it's unnecessary in many case) is that you have to refinish the entire body, and that's a cryin shame for any vintage guitar, IMO.
Not necessarily. I had the neck on my '66 365 reset by Paul W, which required having the back removed and new binding applied. I asked Paul to keep the original finish as intact as possible and here are the results: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=401550

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”