12 Saddle Bridge Needed

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

DavyR

12 Saddle Bridge Needed

Post by DavyR »

I have a 1966 RIC 12 360. It has had a Les Paul type bridge rigged on it since I bought it 30 years ago. I want to replace the bridge with a new 12 saddle bridge and baseplate. Where is the best place to buy them? I want the best possible parts as possible. Thanks!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: 12 Saddle Bridge Needed

Post by Folkie »

You might try Pick of the Ricks in Lindenwold, NJ.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I have a spare 12-saddle that was never installed. However, the only base plate I have is a black one. If somebody wants them, I'd do $125 for both plus whatever it costs to mail them.
Attachments
DSCF0040.JPG
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

Thanks teb! I'll let ya know ASAP. I found an incredible luthier today that just blew my mind with his knowledge of RIC guitar repair. I'm going to run things past him before I replace the bridge. Right now my 12 string is in tune up the neck for some insane reason. I would prefer the silver base plate. Is it true that older bridges or old bases do not fit properly with newer bases and newer bridges? In other words, a new 12 saddle bridge has to be placed on a new base plate?
collin

Post by collin »

DavyR wrote:. Is it true that older bridges or old bases do not fit properly with newer bases and newer bridges? In other words, a new 12 saddle bridge has to be placed on a new base plate?
That is correct.

The vintage (pre-84?) models had a wider "footprint" than the modern type, so you'll need both.

Not to deter you, but I've had 12-saddle bridges on a vintage Rickenbacker and wasn't thrilled with the result. Bear in mind that a vintage Rick has a very curved fretboard radius (7.25") compared to a modern board (10") so the 12-saddle bridge would need to be set up accordingly. What you gain in intonation (which is debatable..) you lose in playability without lots of setup work.
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

collin wrote:
DavyR wrote:. Is it true that older bridges or old bases do not fit properly with newer bases and newer bridges? In other words, a new 12 saddle bridge has to be placed on a new base plate?
That is correct.

The vintage (pre-84?) models had a wider "footprint" than the modern type, so you'll need both.

Not to deter you, but I've had 12-saddle bridges on a vintage Rickenbacker and wasn't thrilled with the result. Bear in mind that a vintage Rick has a very curved fretboard radius (7.25") compared to a modern board (10") so the 12-saddle bridge would need to be set up accordingly. What you gain in intonation (which is debatable..) you lose in playability without lots of setup work.
Wow! I did not know that there was a radius difference between a vintage and a newer RIC 12 AND that these 12-saddle replacements are made for the radius of newer RIC 12 string guitars.

So, why is the intonation gain debatable when a new 12-saddle is added to a newer RIC 12?

And, how is a new 12-saddle bridge possibly going to play well on a vintage RIC 12? How could it be set up correctly?

Thanks!
collin

Post by collin »

David, I was just about to point you toward the BGC thread about this...then realized that you started that thread (recognized your avatar!).

Looks like you have all the info needed there. A 12-saddle bridge can work/sound great on a vintage Rick, but it requires some labor to get it dialed-in just right. Then again, nearly any mod to a guitar requires some level of setup and adjustment.

Let us know how it works out, if you proceed.
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

Thanks, mate! The BGC thread procedure is out of my league. I found a really good luthier here who I'll have do the work, if I replace it. I'll have to pass that thread on to him. Gee, I thought I'd be able to just drop it in place, cut the grooves and do a basic setup on it.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I bet you'd be happy - and intonation problems would diminish - with a set of TI flats on it.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

kennyhowes wrote:I bet you'd be happy - and intonation problems would diminish - with a set of TI flats on it.
+1. Matching the core diameters of the unison wound strings compared to the octave plain strings is why certain sets will intonate well on a 12-string, 6-saddle bridge, and not others. The two commercially available sets with wound 3rd G-strings do this: the factory set, and the POTR custom T-I set.

I have found only on the low E string can it get problematic. So on my 360-12WB FG ckbd I ordered a spare bridge saddle and custom filed it offset so the unison intonates off the back edge, and the octave string, because it is also wound, but with a smaller core diameter, and therefore less string stretch, and therefore less compensation needed, so I filed the saddle so the octave string intonates off the front edge of the saddle.
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

The POTR compressed 12 string sets are identical to the compressed 12 string sets that RIC stopped selling, IMO. What does T-I have to do with these POTR sets?
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

Oh, you mean the TI set of flats that POTR carries? That would make 3 sets, for the POTR compressed sets have a wound G..
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

If TI's aren't in your budget, Jason Mendelson (different person with same name, honestly!) at guitarstringsonline.com makes up a custom RRF 12er set. I also use Curt Mangan 12er sets from POTR sometimes. In fact, with all the switching around I do I rarely throw "expensive" strings on my guitars anymore. Although I do really enjoy the TI flats when I do.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

DavyR wrote:Oh, you mean the TI set of flats that POTR carries? That would make 3 sets, for the POTR compressed sets have a wound G..
Thanks. I had forgotten that POTR still sells the compressed wound. Yes, that would make three sets.

I like everything just a little lighter, so I custom-assemble my set from D'Addario singles (yes, they make the 1/2 gauges as standard stock items.)

9, 11 ½, 18w, 24w, 32w, 42w
9, 11 ½, 8, 10 ½, 14, 22w

This set intonates well on my 6-saddle bridge.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”