Ryder ES16 evaluation

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

danoadam

Ryder ES16 evaluation

Post by danoadam »

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to pick up this ES16 and wanted some opinions first. This looks to be a very clean guitar but has obviously had some changes. It looks like the pickguard has been replaced, the input jack moved to the side of the body, new wiring, new switch, new pots, new bridge and also a bit of routing. Is the pickup vintage 60s? What would be a fair price for this guitar? Your input is appreciated!

collin

Re: Ryder ES16 evaluation

Post by collin »

Neat little guitar.

Even in mint condition, these aren't particularly valuable guitars (mostly because of the incredibly short scale, and it's the Ryder student line and not a Rickenbacker). With the modifications, $800-$900 is probably more realistic.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

collin wrote:. . . .and it's the Ryder student line and not a Rickenbacker). . . . .
No such thing. Ryder's were Electros, just rebranded with the music school's logo. They were sold by the school as as kit- guitar, amp, music lessons.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

The OP photos clearly show an Electro TRC. How did Ryder get mixed up in this? Didn't Ryders have a Ryder TRC?
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Of the 32 ES-16 models listed in the Register, about 25 have headstock photos, of which 5 have the "Ryder" TRC.
Pre-1965 Electro
Pre-1965 Electro
1965 Electro
1965 Electro
Ryder
Ryder
As to the OP's request for a value estimate, I would put this piece in the $500 range given the numerous mods. Fully intact ES-16s have sold in the $900 range.
jdogric12 wrote:The OP photos clearly show an Electro TRC. How did Ryder get mixed up in this? Didn't Ryders have a Ryder TRC?
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

That's one cool guitar - just buy it to have fun with it! When you're done, trade it out for something else that's cool! "Cool" guitars are hard to come by.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I forget, have we ever seen a Contello TRC?
collin

Post by collin »

johnhall wrote:
collin wrote:. . . .and it's the Ryder student line and not a Rickenbacker). . . . .
No such thing. Ryder's were Electros, just rebranded with the music school's logo. They were sold by the school as as kit- guitar, amp, music lessons.
Thanks for the clarification, John.

Out of curiosity - is it the same story for the Symphonia Grand instruments?
collin

Post by collin »

jdogric12 wrote:The OP photos clearly show an Electro TRC. How did Ryder get mixed up in this? Didn't Ryders have a Ryder TRC?
:lol: :lol:

I saw the thread, clearly read Electro... then wrote Ryder in my post. Go figure..

Maybe I subconsciously knew that many of the ES-16s I've seen in the past were badged Ryder.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:

I saw the thread, clearly read Electro... then wrote Ryder in my post. Go figure...
Must be an age thing. :mrgreen: That happens more and more frequently as one gets older. :wink:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin wrote:

I saw the thread, clearly read Electro... then wrote Ryder in my post. Go figure..

Maybe I subconsciously knew that many of the ES-16s I've seen in the past were badged Ryder.
You're not crazy - the thread is titled "Ryder!"
collin

Post by collin »

Update, Adam has the guitar on San Diego craiglist.

Not a bad deal at $700, that's definitely an affordable entry point into vintage guitars!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg ... 62099.html

p.s. Jdog, you're absolutely right. It's in the thread title! Glad I'm not losing my mind. :lol:
abluesky

Post by abluesky »

I owned a 60' version of this guitar and, to this day, I continue to kick myself for selling it. Of all the 3/4 sized guitars I've owned, it was the best sounding and overall feel, great neck too. Mine was a thicker version, no tapered edge.

Good luck!
Attachments
es-16 and 950
es-16 and 950
tulips.jpg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
FG, MG and JGs
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

abluesky wrote:I owned a 60' version of this guitar...
Did you have to go up to the penthouse level to tune the guitar? :wink: :lol:
abluesky

Post by abluesky »

1960 that is....
FG, MG and JGs

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”