'76 481

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Grey
Advanced Member

Re: '76 481

Post by Grey »

trout wrote:on the subject of this, i've just bought a 73 rick 480 and to be honest i don't like the sound much, would prefer humbuckers in it, would it be possible to put humbuckers in it?
'Possible' isn't really part of the equation. It's wood with some electronics on it, anything is possible. What it comes down to is A) What are you willing to pay B) Are you familiar with electronics and or would be willing to learn and C) Are you sure that putting Humbuckers in it would get you the sound that you want. You could buy a set of Rick humbuckers and that would be a fairly simple swap, but i've never heard Rick humbuckers so I can't say if that would be a good idea or not. If you wanted to use humbuckers from a different brand then that would most likely require modifications to the body and pickguard.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Spike- wrote:If you wanted to use humbuckers from a different brand then that would most likely require modifications to the body and pickguard.
...and not recommended. :wink:
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

jps wrote:
Spike- wrote:If you wanted to use humbuckers from a different brand then that would most likely require modifications to the body and pickguard.
+1 times infinity!!!!
If you're going to mod it, try the Ric HB's. Don't rout that guitar!! There are plenty of us out here that would love her just the way she is now, especially me! I too was not a big fan on the Hi-Gains in my 480's. Not that they sounded bad, just not what I wanted. I put 12k toasters with the 0.0047 cap in the bridge positions and Ric HB's in the neck positions and they rock, at least IMO, and they're still all Ric! :D
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

trout wrote:on the subject of this, i've just bought a 73 rick 480 and to be honest i don't like the sound much, would prefer humbuckers in it, would it be possible to put humbuckers in it?
Richard, I suggest that before doing any mods, check that the wiring hasn't been messed with. If a previous owner added/removed caps or changed connections, that would most definitely alter the sound. :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
AlohaT

Post by AlohaT »

Looks like Rickenbacker produced the first 481 in almost 30 years and listed it on eBay. Check out the Ric outlet auction. I am grinning ear to ear. Yes it is a hybrid but Wow.
8mileshigher

'76 481

Post by 8mileshigher »

IHeartRics wrote:
jps wrote:
+1 times infinity!!!!
If you're going to mod it, try the Ric HB's. Don't rout that guitar!! There are plenty of us out here that would love her just the way she is now .....
Joining this thread late here, Trout, but I echo those sentiments pleading with you not to rout this guitar !!

If you want a routed 480 with "other brand" Humbuckers --- you can buy this one on e-bay from the guy in San Bernardino. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-48 ... 3cbba211df

Just a thought ....
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

AlohaT wrote:Looks like Rickenbacker produced the first 481 in almost 30 years and listed it on eBay. Check out the Ric outlet auction. I am grinning ear to ear. Yes it is a hybrid but Wow.
More of a 480/12, IMO. I heard about it last month, and i'm 100% not biased in any way because it happens to be using my favourite finish and favourite guitar style. Honest. :wink:
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Grey wrote:
AlohaT wrote:Looks like Rickenbacker produced the first 481 in almost 30 years and listed it on eBay. Check out the Ric outlet auction. I am grinning ear to ear. Yes it is a hybrid but Wow.
More of a 480/12, IMO. I heard about it last month, and i'm 100% not biased in any way because it happens to be using my favourite finish and favourite guitar style. Honest. :wink:
Agreed it looks more like a 480 to me due to the typical Ric size PU's and lack of slanted frets, but without a pickguard, does it not deserve it's own number? :D Maybe they're calling it a 481 because it has binding on the body, triangle neck inlays, and HB's. Regardless, I'm just stoked Ric is looking at this body style again. 8)
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Grey wrote:
'Possible' isn't really part of the equation. It's wood with some electronics on it, anything is possible. What it comes down to is A) What are you willing to pay B) Are you familiar with electronics and or would be willing to learn and C) Are you sure that putting Humbuckers in it would get you the sound that you want. You could buy a set of Rick humbuckers and that would be a fairly simple swap, but i've never heard Rick humbuckers so I can't say if that would be a good idea or not. If you wanted to use humbuckers from a different brand then that would most likely require modifications to the body and pickguard.
There's also the third option of having someone wind you some traditional type HB coils that will fit in the existing covers/pickup routs. IIRC, Rick HBs are voiced more like single coils but with higher output, and the hum cancelling advantage of the HB, of course.

Remember that no matter what p/ups are in the guitar, the maple body has a lot to do with the sound.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

And if you're a good player!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Two Walnut 480's on eBay makes this a happy day.

As an aside, if yours is the "1979 Rickenbacker 480" it dosen't appear to be 100% original. The bridge height adjustment screws have been relplaced with added springs,.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I have made some edits to this thread since our new member has broken the rules twice. Unfortunately that also means that I had to edit responses by other members to his posts also.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”