Question re installing HBs on a 430

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jdawe

Question re installing HBs on a 430

Post by jdawe »

I am toying with the idea of at some point replacing the stock pickups on my 430 (single-coils that I assume are basically Hi-Gains, but with the 430 plastic cover) with Rick humbuckers. My goal (if I were to ever get around to this) would be to distinguish the sound of my 430 further from that of my Hi-Gain equipped 620. I would also probably want to add a coil tap switch to get a single-coil like sound.

My questions:

1) how does the footprint of the Rick HB compare to the footprint of the stock 430 p/u? Would I have to rout out the pickup cavities? If so, this would probably be enough to deter me from going this route, since I'd rather not do anything irreversible.

2) Am I correct that the Rick HB is wired to permit a coil tap? (I'm pretty sure it is, but it can't hurt to double-check).

3) Are wiring schematics for installing a coil tap switch available anywhere online?
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: Question re installing HBs on a 430

Post by ken_j »

1) Not sure
2) Yes
3) Here is a link that shows the info. You will need to determine wire colors from ths RIC schematic: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/catego ... ring_mods/
RIC schematic: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19521-HB1%20Wiring.pdf
Last edited by ken_j on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The best things in life aren't things."
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jdawe wrote:1) how does the footprint of the Rick HB compare to the footprint of the stock 430 p/u? Would I have to rout out the pickup cavities? If so, this would probably be enough to deter me from going this route, since I'd rather not do anything irreversible.
I THINK they're the same footprint, and the routing is such that the magnet would fit. Not 100% sure, but 95%.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

A few players who have installed HBs recommend changing the control pots to 500K pots.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Thanks, guys. I have no immediate plans to do anything, but if I ever do will file a report.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”