Gigged w/ 480... Some Comments & Questions

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jcreasy

Gigged w/ 480... Some Comments & Questions

Post by jcreasy »

I played out with this one earlier in the month and the sound tech was absolutely crazy about my sound/tone. My new band plays some heavier stuff so I had the amp driven a little bit more than usual, still, straight through, however, with no effects other than the reverb on the amp. It was kinda fun to play a guitar nobody sees that often and get rave reviews from the sound guy! At the end of the night, he came over and played with it for a bit.

The guitar did fine (of course) with no issues. It was light and comfortable and easy to sling around a bit. (I may need to see about strap locks).

Here are the questions (forgive me if they've been asked before, but I haven't seen them if they have).

Can anyone shed some light on the following?

1. How, exactly, did the 480 come about? Was it concurrent with the 430 or was it felt that another solid body was needed in the line-up? Did one of the bass guys just have a muse and followed up on it? I'm curious about that and we've had some discussion on the evolving Capri/360s and the 600 series... Can anyone chime in on the 480?

2. Does anyone know why Rick used the bolt-on neck? It works fine for me and I've never been one to shy away from bolt-on neck guitars or look down my nose at them. (In fact, I read an article that scientifically measured the difference in sustain and determined there was no noticeable difference in a set neck and a quality bolt-on). It just seems to me that if Rick was copying the 4001, it'd be easier and cheaper to simply use the same construction method and scale it down as opposed to designing a neck pocket and new neck construction...

3. Similarly, why the flatter radius? (Paul W. says it is something like and 18 and others say it is totally flat). Which is it and why that design? I don't know of any other guitar like that. There's been discussion on the slant frets fitting your hand better but I haven't seen any on the flat fretboard.

4. Last one should be easier... Where can I find tuners that extend through the thicker headstock? Mine are Kluson reproductions, I think, and the poles are very short and hard to thread. (The hole is barely above the bushing/ring).

Thanks in advance.

JKC

PS Saw Cheap Trick the other night and Zander had that old Rick out for several songs.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Gigged w/ 480... Some Comments & Questions

Post by sloop_john_b »

jcreasy wrote: 1. How, exactly, did the 480 come about? Was it concurrent with the 430 or was it felt that another solid body was needed in the line-up? Did one of the bass guys just have a muse and followed up on it? I'm curious about that and we've had some discussion on the evolving Capri/360s and the 600 series... Can anyone chime in on the 480?
I recall Mark Arnquist saying that F.C. Hall thought bands would want to have matching guitars and basses.
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense... The thought at least. Anyone else?

So what about the construction technique and fretboard radius?

JKC
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

FWIW (not much), in addition to a bolt-on-neck the 430 also has a dead flat fretboard (if there is any curve at all, it is unnoticable). It is very comfortable to play, although on balance I probably prefer the radiused neck on my 620s. So flat (or nearly flat) fretboards seems to have been something RIC was experimenting with in the 70s, although I have no idea what was driving this. The 430 never had slant frets, so that wasn't the reason.

I always assumed that the bolt-on neck on the 430 was a cost-saving measure, since the 430 was a budget model. I figured that there must have been some production savings that offset the initial cost of designing the neck pocket.

However, this is all speculation -- hopefully someone with some actual knowledge can weigh in (paging John Hall!).
Last edited by jdawe on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

jcreasy wrote:4. Last one should be easier... Where can I find tuners that extend through the thicker headstock? Mine are Kluson reproductions, I think, and the poles are very short and hard to thread. (The hole is barely above the bushing/ring).
I had that same problem with my 620. My first thought was to get locking tuners and do away with string wraps completely. But the string holes didn't even clear the bushings. The guitar was stock with mini Grovers (it's a 1987) so I ended up replacing them with full sized Grovers. The keys actually have the same footprint, it's just that the buttons are larger and the shafts are longer, so they were a drop in replacement. There's still only enough clearance for one or two wraps on the lower strings, but that's enough. I don't know if different shaft lengths are available on the Kluson type keys, but Gotoh has a tuning key with adjustable post lengths.

I'm not surprised the soundman liked your guitar. Rics easily to cut through the heavy stuff and sit in the mix quite nicely.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The vintage Klusons used on vintage series 12s (for example) have two different shaft lengths. The longer shafts are for the through-the-headstock use with bushings, and the shorter ones are for the slotted locations.

My 430 came woth Grovers...I converted it to Kluson/RIC vintage style.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

jingle_jangle wrote:The vintage Klusons used on vintage series 12s (for example) have two different shaft lengths. The longer shafts are for the through-the-headstock use with bushings, and the shorter ones are for the slotted locations.

Interesting... My Feb 76 430 came with real Klusons stock...
my 430 D.jpg
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:The vintage Klusons used on vintage series 12s (for example) have two different shaft lengths. The longer shafts are for the through-the-headstock use with bushings, and the shorter ones are for the slotted locations.

My Dec. 1975 430 also came with real Klusons stock.
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

Mine came with Klusons too but someone had replaced them with Gibson Keystones. (Same hole pattern). I was not paying attention and got Kluson style (though they may be reproductions). I will look for the ones with the longer shaft that Paul W. mentions.

As for cutting through the mix, I normally play 360s with Toasters. This thing is really different... I am guessing the Hi-Gains and the solid bodies... I read about Zachary the Pin Head and his "... improved" 480 but I respectfully disagree. This guitar really shines when played live. I am not a shredder but my old lead guitarist picked it up and seemed to like it well enough. (For reference, I was playing un-mic'd in a smaller room through a 2 x 12 Mesa Heartbreaker, the lead guitarist was playing a Reverend w/ Humbuckers, un-mic'd, through an AC-30, and the bassist was playing un-mic'd through a huge, vintage Trace Elliot. Kick mic'd, I think, and some sort of ambient mic on the kit and vocals through PA. I had plenty of bottom end and "... cut." The sound was distinctive too).

As for Mr. Hall being "... paged" on this topic, can someone over at Rick chime in on the 480s or direct me to a thread on the company forum? I'll look over there in a bit myself.

Hope everyone has a safe NYE.

JKC
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:

My recently acquired 430 also has the Kluson Deluxe keywinds.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:

My recently acquired August '75 430 has Kluson Deluxe keywinds.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jcreasy wrote:As for Mr. Hall being "... paged" on this topic, can someone over at Rick chime in on the 480s or direct me to a thread on the company forum? I'll look over there in a bit myself.
RIC HQ is on holiday until the 3rd or so. JH will probably chime in once he's back from vacation.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

My 480 had Kluson keys and I bought a set of the Gotoh vintage tuners, didn't have any problems with the headstock.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Mine came with Gibson metal tulips with floral logo.It was a "rare option" :lol: .

IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

I always use my 480's to gig with. All I get is compliments from sound guys, the crowd, and other bands. I usually hear "I can't believe the sound of that Ric! Now I gotta get one." Note that I play in a trio so the only guitar they hear is a Ric!
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”