older 360

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mm2002

older 360

Post by mm2002 »

Hello, new member here. I'm a long time Charvel/Jackson collector, and sold off most of my collection a few years ago. My age is showing I guess, and my interests have shifted. I had an old ric back in the early 80's and loved it, so lately I've been looking around trying to get a feel for the market. I just found a 1976 360 fireglow on ebay. The seller had it listed for 2K, and I submitted an offer of 1700, which he accepted. The guitar is really minty, and all original except that the tuners were replaced with newer ones. The headstock wasn't re-drilled or anything, so that would be fairly easy to put back original. It included the OHSC. I'm sure I may have over-paid, but how bad did I do? I'm having to learn all over again, but it will be fun!
Mark
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Re: older 360

Post by chronictown »

Welcome to the Forum, Mark!

I'd say that's a decent price for a '76 360, especially one in near mint condition. Rickenbacker guitars from the 70's are relatively scarce (compared to later decades), and they do retain some of the desirable features from the '60s (e.g. x-bracing, slim headstocks), so that helps with the value.
mm2002

Post by mm2002 »

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I also wasn't aware of those features on the older ones. Since I plan on replacing the tuners, how would I find out exactly what it's supposed to have? From pics I've seen they appear to be standard grovers. The ones on it are newer grovers with that funky "t-handle" looking knob
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

I think I remember seeing that guitar! Those funky tuners certainly were memorable...looked like something off an art deco spaceship.

To be honest, I'm no expert on Grovers...the later (pre-'84) non-Kluson'd 360s I've seen have had "star" Grovers, but whether those are period-correct for '76...maybe someone else can chime in.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Post pics, and check the register here for similar model and year. Soudns like a decent deal!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

chronictown wrote:Those funky tuners certainly were memorable...looked like something off an art deco spaceship.
Without seeing them, from your description those are Grover Imperial tuning keys.
mm2002

Post by mm2002 »

Here's the pics of the actual guitar (as the seller posted). This is just the front view, and the front and back of the headstock.

fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

Mark, those are "Imperial Rotomatics", simply Rotos with the Imperial stair-step knob. You should be able to replace just the stairstep knobs with the standard Rotomatic knobs easily. I'd write to Grover and see if they'd sell you the replacement knobs. Just make sure you specify either chrome or nickel, whichever yours is equipped with.
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome to the Forum, Mark! :D
jdogric12 wrote:Post pics, and check the register here for similar model and year. Soudns like a decent deal!
+1! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Thats a nice '76. You did fine.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Nice looking flame on that body. Interesting headstock shape... not as slim as I imagined it would be. Due to the original Grovers, I'm sure.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
mm2002

Post by mm2002 »

Thanks guys. Also, thanks for the idea of replacing the tuner knobs, I didn't think of that. I just want the tuners to be period correct, and wasn't sure if the tuner bodies were correct. I've seen older Grovers with the logo stamped, and some with the logo raised. Does anyone know which is correct for this guitar? I know, I'm probably being too picky, but I've always liked my axes 100% original. I used to own a classic car restoration shop, and I also did a lot of vintage guitar restorations in my shop, so I'm kinda anal about that sort of thing.
This forum is a wealth of information, thank you all. I'll be shopping for more rics!
mm2002

Post by mm2002 »

I found this one in the registry: http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... p?id=20481
Looks like it was on ebay for a while. The folks I bought it from on ebay (music_garage) bought it from another ebay user (oliviasvintage) for $1340 in July. Where was I when that auction ended?? lol
Anyway, the person I got it from made a small profit and that's good. I plan to hang onto it, so I'm sure it'll be a good investment. I think the economy is the reason a lot of nice vintage instruments just aren't bringing top value right now, so it's a great time to buy!
Is there a way I can update the info in the registry? I didn't see anything there.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

mm2002 wrote:I used to own a classic car restoration shop...
You and PW should get along just fine!
vintagemusicgear

Post by vintagemusicgear »

mm2002 wrote:Hello, new member here. I'm a long time Charvel/Jackson collector, and sold off most of my collection a few years ago. My age is showing I guess, and my interests have shifted. I had an old ric back in the early 80's and loved it, so lately I've been looking around trying to get a feel for the market. I just found a 1976 360 fireglow on ebay. The seller had it listed for 2K, and I submitted an offer of 1700, which he accepted. The guitar is really minty, and all original except that the tuners were replaced with newer ones. The headstock wasn't re-drilled or anything, so that would be fairly easy to put back original. It included the OHSC. I'm sure I may have over-paid, but how bad did I do? I'm having to learn all over again, but it will be fun!
Mark
Welcome Mark. The ironic thing is that Grover Jackson is now working for Ric.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”