480 Knobs

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

redamber

480 Knobs

Post by redamber »

I would be grateful for any help from Forum members re the knobs on my recently-acquired 1974 Mapleglo 480. Whilst the four knobs (black, with silver tops) are intact, one is missing the silver disc at the top of the knob, one silver disc insert is itself damaged and none of the knobs show any markings (i.e., the normal Treble/Bass/Volume/Tone). I can see that the knobs are very slightly different from those on some of my later Ric guitars, though I believe that knob designs have changed subtely over the years, so perhaps this is not surprising.

My question is: firstly, is there any way of confirming that these are the original authentic Rickenbacker knobs (put othewise, were some or all of the Ric guitars in this 1974 era issued with 'unmarked' knobs) and, secondly does anyone know where I might source replacements for the two defective knobs? Obviously, I could simply replace the existing knobs with a modern set of 4 knobs (Ric Part No. 03570), but I am keen to keep the guitar as original as possible.

Thanks, redamber
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: 480 Knobs

Post by doctorwho »

My September 1974 480 MG had its knobs replaced by a former owner, so I can't be of help on this.
P9070516.JPG
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I'm hesitant to say "no, they never came with plain knobs" because that's usually when somebody shows up to say "oh well there was this one month where a landslide knocked over a truck carrying all the Rickenbacker knob insterts" but i've never seen one that was stock like that. What you could do is get a set of new knobs and transplant the top decals, though I just replaced the whole set on mine. Looks more consistent and I put the originals in a box to keep intact.
8mileshigher

480 Knobs

Post by 8mileshigher »

The knobs on my '73 model 480 appear to be the same silver sticker-top standard Ric knobs as I have on many other Rics.

But we have already seen on other threads ... some of the 480 series have things different from other Rics of the same manufacturing time. For example me and several other 480 owners reported on another thread, to have original Cream plastic tops on the Pickup Selector switches, whereas the majoriy of other Ric models have standard Black plastic tops on these PU selector switches.
Attachments
EPSN9365 c.jpg
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I don't think Rickenbacker has ever used blank silver-topped knobs for anything, though.
redamber

Post by redamber »

Thanks to all of you for replying to my query. There does seem to be something of a consensus, so I'll now go ahead and replace the existing knobs on my 480 with a full set of genuine matched Ric knobs.

Part of my confusion arose because of the following listing on eBay in the UK, for a supposedly 'unmarked' Ric knob:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-RICKENBA ... 19cca2330a

.... not that I was ever going to be tempted to part with $59 plus carriage for one old worn knob, even if it was the real thing!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Grey wrote:I don't think Rickenbacker has ever used blank silver-topped knobs for anything, though.
RIC used blank-top silver knobs on some models when they first came out with them in 1964; they were used again for the McGuinn Ltd. Ed. model with the onboard compression unit.

They may also have been used on some 4000 basses; not positive on that one.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

See thats why I try to avoid sweeping statements. :lol:

I'm 99% sure those knobs were not used on 480 guitars from the factory, though. However, there is a chance they could be legitimate Rick knobs which apparently might be worth something, judging by that eBay auction. So I would not mess with them by replacing the labels, and go with the new set for the guitar.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

libratune wrote:
Grey wrote:I don't think Rickenbacker has ever used blank silver-topped knobs for anything, though.
RIC used blank-top silver knobs on some models when they first came out with them in 1964; they were used again for the McGuinn Ltd. Ed. model with the onboard compression unit.

Don't forget amps! My PA-120 has about 600.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jingle_jangle wrote:
libratune wrote:

Don't forget amps! My PA-120 has about 600.
IIRC, the knobs on the 381JK are also plain-topped ones, but with one difference: they are press-on, not set-screw. (I'd have to look at it to be sure, but I think I remember that was the case when I had to send out the lower pick guard, which had been broken in shipping, to be replicated.)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote:I had to send out the lower pick guard, which had been broken in shipping, to be replicated.)
Was your replicator broken?
Earl Grey, hot!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jps wrote:... Was your replicator broken?
Earl Grey, hot!
You are confusing the TARDIS with Enterprise ... :roll: :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

doctorwho wrote:
jps wrote:... Was your replicator broken?
Earl Grey, hot!
You are confusing the TARDIS with Enterprise ... :roll: :lol:
Yeah, but you should be able to go back to before it was shipped, take it off, and therefore prevent its being broken, then put it back on when you receive the guitar...
:lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
redamber

Post by redamber »

cjj wrote: Yeah, but you should be able to go back to before it was shipped, take it off, and therefore prevent its being broken, then put it back on when you receive the guitar...
Hey Guys - seems like my simple enquiry about Rickenbacker knobs has inadvertently led us all towards time travel and the time-travel paradox theory.

It is now only a short step to the theory of relativity, wave–particle duality, black holes, event horizons, quantum physics and (most topically) the Higgs-Boson particle. What on earth (or, should that be the universe) have I started?
Last edited by redamber on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, it's possible that the next time you look at the knobs on your 480, the labels will have somehow appeared...

The probability is very nearly zero, but not quite...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”