Rick questions /opinions (480)

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bb5000

Post by bb5000 »

Hello all.
It's been a looong time.
A few months ago I was able to buy back my 1st quality electric guitar (jetglo 480) from the friend I sold it to 12+ years ago.
It needs a fret job and a good cleaning, but overall it's the same with a little bit more mojo.
Is it a bad idea to install a Bigsby when I eventually get it refretted ?
When Ricks are refretted is it possible to save the neck binding ? I'd hate to lose
those red dots.
Is there anywhere I could find a case for it ? I had it originally but unfortunately, he doesn't have it anymore.
If not, I may just get one from Pelican.

Thanks for your input,
Brian
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: Rick questions /opinions (480)

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Try adding an accent vibrato perhaps. It attaches with the strap button and is more authentic to a Rickenbacker.

The holes you will have to drill for the Bigsby will significantly reduce your vintage guitar's value... :( :(
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:The holes you will have to drill for the Bigsby will significantly reduce your vintage guitar's value... :( :(
It would reduce it to a collector or to a retail outlet. If you tried to resell the guitar on eBay with the Bigsby already fitted and properly installed, it could add value to the right buyer.
bb5000 wrote: Is it a bad idea to install a Bigsby when I eventually get it refretted ?

Is there anywhere I could find a case for it ? I had it originally but unfortunately, he doesn't have it anymore.
If not, I may just get one from Pelican.
I would only install a Bigsby if you actually plan to use it. That should go without saying, but i've seen alot of people install them "because they look cool". Personally, I would not Bigsby a 480 because I like the "R" tailpiece, and removing the tailpiece would leave you with two holes on the bottom of the guitar. There's an Azureglo 480 in the register fitted with a knockoff B5. http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... 6order%3D4

As to the case, the top horn makes it difficult to find ones that work. Lots of the standard Rick cases wont fit because of the equipment compartment. There was a fitted case for the 480 as well as a standard case that shipped with the guitars but I don't see them up for sale often.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Brian
I solved the Ric case quandry for my 480 by getting a vintage reissue case for the 350 V63 model and to accomodate the longer top horn, I moved the compartment edge (right side) over about 5 or so inches leftward, (to clear the latch mechanism), and put one screw in to hold it down. The 480 fits nice and snug !

See thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=396344&start=225#p709841
Attachments
closing the compartment lid down and the horn is tucked underneath
closing the compartment lid down and the horn is tucked underneath
the compartment right-side-edge moved left ward
the compartment right-side-edge moved left ward
bb5000

Post by bb5000 »

Thank you all for your input.
I was thinking about the Bigsby because I never owned a guitar with any kind of
tremolo, and every Bigsby I've tried felt so good. However upon further review:

A) Even though I have no plans to ever sell it, I had no idea the 480's went for that much now
and almost feel embarrassed for the amount I originally sold it for/ bought it back for.
B) The pic from the register looks a little crowded near the control panel for my taste.
and
C) YES, that "R" tailpiece would be a shame to jettison.

So, I'll probably try and sell one of my guitars and save the Bigsby idea for
the guitar I'm g.a.s.'ing over if I can eventually get it.

@ Rich (8mileshigher) - Do you know or remember what the sku # is for that style case ? Great idea btw.
I'm seeing a 94520 and 94530 online. Is that your 480's original color ? It's beautiful. Blue Boy ?

Do you guys know if neck binding is able to be saved when having a 480 refretted ?
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

bb5000 wrote: Rich (8mileshigher) - Do you know or remember what the sku # is for that style case ? Great idea btw.
I'm seeing a 94520 and 94530 online. Is that your 480's original color ? It's beautiful. Blue Boy ?
Sorry, I do not know the SKU number for the case.... I bought it from another Forum member and tested the 480 out in it to make sure it would fit. I understand the Black case for the 350 model does not accomodate the length of the 480, but the silver vintage re-issue case for the 350 V63 does accomodate the total length, and the "horn" gets accomodated by the process illustrated.

The Daphne Blue color is a refinish done by a guitar shop in the MidWest area. The guy I bought it from last year had acquired it from that guitar shop. I don't know the answer about "saving" neck binding during a refret.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

A refret can be done along with fresh binding AND new red dots, so don't let that stop you...I do these as a matter of course!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”