2008 330/12 question

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dlbeaty

2008 330/12 question

Post by dlbeaty »

When I began looking at Rick 12 strings I first noticed that there were differences in the thickness of the necks over the years. From what I had heard up until then, the narrowness of the fretboard was a problem for some, but not for me. The MG 330/12 I have now has the thin neck that suites me well. However, I did not notice at first, that when playing the open C, I find it difficult to not deaden the open E and B strings with my index finger.

Earlier I had read that the 330/12 had slightly wider string spacing than the 360/12 due to the binding on the 360. Now I see that the company changed the nuts after 2005 to a slightly wider spacing between sets of strings. Could it be possible that a 2008 model might have the earlier spacing? The difference I need is very slight, and only at the first fret.

Is there a way that I could find out if purchasing a new nut from Rickenbacker or other source would help? I am really not ready to do a major refret/setup. My setup is fine right now.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 2008 330/12 question

Post by jdogric12 »

Yeah, before 2005 the 360/12's had a tighter string spacing than 330/12's due to the binding. They switched to 330/12 nuts for both models. I'm trusting your post for the actual year, since I don't remember exactly when myself.

Check this thread out:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=274096

I'm unclear on what your problem is. Open E & B? Did you mean E & G?

Also, keep in mind "neck thickness" and "string spacing" are two different things. One is side to side, the other is front to back.

So you want your strings spacing wider? Sounds like you already have the wider one. Maybe a 660/12 is what you need, with a much wider neck that accomodates an even wider string spacing than any 300 series 12er.
dlbeaty

Post by dlbeaty »

You are right, I meant E and G strings.

Is there a way I can be sure I have the wider spaced nut?

If I could get my hands on a 660/12 it would be great. They just don't seem to show up around here (central Ohio). OTOH this is a fine guitar.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

The (relatively) new RIC 12-string model 1993 Plus has the wider neck like the 660/12.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Right, Ron, how did I forget the 1993+?

If you wait for Ricks to show up in your local shops you'll grow a pretty long beard. the good news is those are hip these days. Just find one from a reputable shop on the internets. Reverb.com is a great site for those like me who are sick of high ebay fees.
dlbeaty

Post by dlbeaty »

While I really like the look of some of the 660/12's I hate to give up on this MG 330/12. It took quite a while to find one that had the neck depth that I liked. What puzzles me is that with all the 12 string Ricks I got to play, I never noticed the problem. Almost as soon as I bought this one, I had it set up by a local luthier who is highly regarded. I did have the string gauge changed. The strings that were on it seemed too light. If the high octave G string does not sit as low, maybe that could make the slight touch more critical.

I keep thinking a thinker callous on my finger tips would help, but they get wore down quickly from the kind of work I do.
LowSurf

Post by LowSurf »

I have pretty big fingers, so I know what you mean. When I first got my 330/12 I was a little disappointed, and just kind of assumed I'd never be able to play a clean C (or D) chord at the nut. I kept at it, though, and I hardly ever notice a problem anymore, For me it was just getting used to the exact right amount of finger arch, which just isn't an issue with other guitars. I looked at all the web pages and forum posts about wider nuts and etc, but I'm glad I never bothered, because I love that guitar now. Although I would still sort of like a 1993+. :P
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Any good luthier should be able to make you a new nut. Mark Arnquist converted my 370/12 to full width frets, maximum width of the strings and tight pairs. It made a massive difference in the playability. I made my own nut for my 340/12, again with tight pairs and spreading them out as much as possible. It's not rocket science for anybody used to working on guitars and it can make a big difference in your music and enjoyment. I had a 660/12 for a while. The neck width was nice, but the pair spacing was rather wide as well. I never got comfortable with that. It felt like a continuous band of equally spaced strings across the fretboard, not six pairs. I also never got used to that dinky body, but the thing did sound great.
Attachments
a.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I had a 660/12 in the mid '00s I too found the spec string spacing a bit wide but the neck width, itself, was great. I had a local guy make a new nut for it that slightly moved the E pairs in a bit and tighten up the string pairs. It was perfection after that.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”