Schaller to Kluson conversion for a 2008 330?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

HofnerVox

Re: Schaller to Kluson conversion for a 2008 330?

Post by HofnerVox »

ric330 wrote:Everything should be covered by the Kluson Except for the ring impession left by the Schaller bushing washer. Not a big deal but if you have a black (Jetglo) Rick it will probably show and may bother you. Yes, the conversion bushings are needed (I got some from Stew Mac)- It's nice that the those top holes will work with the conversions - some builders drill all the way through with the larger holes for those Schallers probably for speed of production but Rick does it right :D .

Those bottom - back of the headstock tuner - holes will be covered by the Kluson style. One VERY important point. Those bushing washers on the top of the headstock make be stuck to the finish and if you aren't careful removing them, you could pull off the finish around the hole. A touch of heat usually frees them but fast and carefully- so you don't end up melting the finish.

I don't think that a Rickenbacker dealer would do this conversion because it would probably void warranty because you are modifying a stock guitar with something that the guitar wasn't originally designed for -for 2008.
I'm about to do another conversion on a 360 to Kluson style.

I can do this for you - but If I were you, I would start by carefully removing one of the machine heads and seeing if the washers are stuck and if there is an impression that shows enough to actually do the finishing work process.

Feel free to send me a Private message.
Hey Kevin I'm a little confused....do I need the conversion bushings from stewmac? And if so do you know which ones?...I've read everything and sometimes you say the factory kluson bushings fit right in with no mods other than the compression marks from the shallers showing.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Schaller to Kluson conversion for a 2008 330?

Post by iiipopes »

Stew Mac has retrofit bushings that are designed to retrofit Kluson-style 1/4 inch posts to the larger Schaller holes. I have personally used them on other instruments to good effect.

Yes, it does beg the question - why? Well, on one instrument, the tuners were simply deficient. On a couple of others, the Grovers were causing neck dive. And on one, it was a vintage instrument that, well, had a train wreck and was not repaired properly. I retrofitted the traditional-style lightweight Kluson-copies - the Gotoh versions for the Asian instruments and the Tone Pros versions for the American instruments, and was eminently pleased all the way around - cured neck dive, gave me better stability on the tuning, I personally liked the aesthetics better on the particular instruments retrofitted.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”