330: any reason why it wouldn't be a good first electric?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jdawe

Re: 330: any reason why it wouldn't be a good first electric?

Post by jdawe »

Anyway, I really enjoyed playing the 330 -- it felt good and the sound was really nice -- but I struggled a bit because I didn't really understand the controls. They're labelled (Treble, Bass) + (Volume, Tone), but the volume controls seemed not to be freq. band based but rather pickup-based, which seems odd.
The volume controls are indeed pickup-based: "treble volume" means "bridge pickup volume" and "bass volume" means "neck pickup volume". This is the same as the traditional Les Paul control setup, except that the knobs are positioned in a different order. RIckenbackers then add the mysterious fifth knob, which is really nothing more than a second volume pot for the neck pickup in series with the main neck volume knob. Even though it doesn't really do anything that you couldn't also accomplish by twiddling the neck volume control, I use it all the time and tend to leave the main volume controls turned up all the way. Plus, it looks cool.

That's the easy answer. The tougher problem is your dilemma about which guitar to buy. It sounds like the 12-string has really grabbed you, which is completely understandable. Nothing else sounds quite like it. Most of us have had similar experiences and, not coincidentally, many of us have wound up owning Rickenbacker 12-strings. They are more versatile than is often thought -- a lot of stuff that you wouldn't ordinarily associate with a 12-string can be played on a 12 and sound very good. However, an electric six-string (Rickenbacker or other) covers a different range of sonic territory, and there are there are some things that can really only be done on a six. For instance, you really can't do string bends very successfully on a 12.

From one perspective, the only satisfactory solution would be to get both, but if you're on a budget this may not be feasible for you. Much depends on your priorities. If your main goal in getting an electric is to learn how to play lead, you really need a six-string. However, if you have really fallen for the sound of the 340-12 and aren't concerned about trying to replicate the six-string sound, then the 340-12 might be right for you. You can play blues on a 340-12 and sound good -- different, but still good.

Assuming you can't afford to get both the 340-12 and a Rick 6-string, if you've really fallen for the 12 and are getting a very good deal on it, one option (if your budget can handle it) would be to get the 340-12 and supplement it with a cheap six-string, like the Squier Classic Vibe Tele someone mentioned downthread. Musicians Friend has new ones advertised for $350, and you might be able to get something comparable used for even less. This would probably be a fine six-string to start out with, and you can save up for something better down the road (either a Rick or something else). Rickenbackers hold their value very well and demand generally outstrips supply, so if if you change your mind later and decide that the 340/12 isn't really what you want, you should have no difficulty reselling it and getting back most or even all of what you paid for it.
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

you've definitely veered off your original course.. re: your FIRST Electric guitar

since guitar buying/playing is an ongoing hobby.. where you're likely to acquire a stable of guitars.. some you keep for a short time.. some for a long time. while you experiment with different guitars.. pickups.. amps etc. .

It's a journey..

and then you factor in the timing: If you've found a great deal on a RIC 340/12.. you played it.. it spoke to you.. sounds like the stars aligned..

I'd offer the suggestion: GET IT. Try it.. play it.. learn from it. you might keep it.. you might not. You can always sell it and recoup most of your investment. but in the meantime.. you'll have that experience in your pocket.

and since I'm the one to noted the Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele.. I'll second my own motion in this scenario. If it's in your budget: For a few hundred bucks. .you can get a great exposure to the Telecaster.. which will give you good experience with a 6 string electric.

and then you're on your own with.. Gibson Les Pauls.. SG's.. 335's.. Strats.. Gretsch.. Duesenbergs.. Humbuckers.. Single Coils.. Tube amps.. pedals.. ( not to mention: other RICs... 330/6.. 360/6.. 350.. 6xx..

it's a fun journey!
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

jdawe wrote:
Anyway, I really enjoyed playing the 330 -- it felt good and the sound was really nice -- but I struggled a bit because I didn't really understand the controls. They're labelled (Treble, Bass) + (Volume, Tone), but the volume controls seemed not to be freq. band based but rather pickup-based, which seems odd.
The volume controls are indeed pickup-based: "treble volume" means "bridge pickup volume" and "bass volume" means "neck pickup volume". This is the same as the traditional Les Paul control setup, except that the knobs are positioned in a different order. RIckenbackers then add the mysterious fifth knob, which is really nothing more than a second volume pot for the neck pickup in series with the main neck volume knob. Even though it doesn't really do anything that you couldn't also accomplish by twiddling the neck volume control, I use it all the time and tend to leave the main volume controls turned up all the way. Plus, it looks cool.

That's the easy answer. The tougher problem is your dilemma about which guitar to buy. It sounds like the 12-string has really grabbed you, which is completely understandable. Nothing else sounds quite like it. Most of us have had similar experiences and, not coincidentally, many of us have wound up owning Rickenbacker 12-strings. They are more versatile than is often thought -- a lot of stuff that you wouldn't ordinarily associate with a 12-string can be played on a 12 and sound very good. However, an electric six-string (Rickenbacker or other) covers a different range of sonic territory, and there are there are some things that can really only be done on a six. For instance, you really can't do string bends very successfully on a 12.

From one perspective, the only satisfactory solution would be to get both, but if you're on a budget this may not be feasible for you. Much depends on your priorities. If your main goal in getting an electric is to learn how to play lead, you really need a six-string. However, if you have really fallen for the sound of the 340-12 and aren't concerned about trying to replicate the six-string sound, then the 340-12 might be right for you. You can play blues on a 340-12 and sound good -- different, but still good.

Assuming you can't afford to get both the 340-12 and a Rick 6-string, if you've really fallen for the 12 and are getting a very good deal on it, one option (if your budget can handle it) would be to get the 340-12 and supplement it with a cheap six-string, like the Squier Classic Vibe Tele someone mentioned downthread. Musicians Friend has new ones advertised for $350, and you might be able to get something comparable used for even less. This would probably be a fine six-string to start out with, and you can save up for something better down the road (either a Rick or something else). Rickenbackers hold their value very well and demand generally outstrips supply, so if if you change your mind later and decide that the 340/12 isn't really what you want, you should have no difficulty reselling it and getting back most or even all of what you paid for it.
Buying two Rics... Maybe it's just me, but if he were in the market for two Rics, I don't think he'd have this dilemma of picking a first electric. :wink: I could be wrong, but, again, it's my hypothesis.

A used Mexican Fender is a good route if you want a more affordable six string with a Rickenbacker twelve string, too. Squier makes pretty good guitars as well, though. The closest sound to a Ric 330 or 360, in my experience, has been a Jazzmaster (Teles and Strats come really close too, though). But, part of the reason one buys a Ric is not just for sound, but for the overall quality. As I type this, I am holding the Jazzmaster I compared my 360 to before selling it; it's a well made guitar, and it's quality is on par with Ric in several respects (I could have lucked out and gotten a good one, however).

However, you started this thread with a 330 in mind, and I highly suggest keeping your aim low when you're in the market for a guitar. You can always buy a 12 string later. :wink:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I've played (Never owned) a couple 330's and they are great! So I would suggest yes. :mrgreen:
Welcome to the Forum by the way!
Rickissippi

Post by Rickissippi »

The price.
8mileshigher

330: any reason why it wouldn't be a good first electric?

Post by 8mileshigher »

Chris --- it's been several months since you started this thread. What did you end up getting ? That Blue 340-12 string sounded like it had captivated you for awhile. :)
J_B_Sessoms

Re: 330: any reason why it wouldn't be a good first electri

Post by J_B_Sessoms »

funkapus wrote:Hi, new to the forum. I'm an acoustic player, advanced beginner I'd say, play mostly rhythm but am learning about leads in lessons right now (pentatonic scales at this point). I've wanted to pick up an electric; and many of the rock bands I really like involve the sound of someone playing a Rickenbacker 330 or 360. Obviously I need to spend some time playing one; but is there any reason I should be wary of a 330 as a first electric? Thanks.
I realize I'm replying to a 7 year old posting, but it caught my eye ...

My first electric GUITAR was/IS a Rickenbacker 330/12. The post caught my eye because I was playing it today & while I was, I realized I've had the guitar for almost 50 years. I bought it mid-August 1968. I have three more Rickenbacker 12-strings, but it' still my favorite.

So to anyone else out there who's wondering if a Rickenbacker 330 is a good FIRST electric guitar, the answer is HELL YEAH! Go for it.
John Sessoms
'66 Rickenbacker 330/12
'81 Rickenbacker 360/12 WB
'01 Rickenbacker 360/12 Carl Wilson #476
'12 Rickenbacker 370/12

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”