330: any reason why it wouldn't be a good first electric?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

funkapus

Post by funkapus »

Hi, new to the forum. I'm an acoustic player, advanced beginner I'd say, play mostly rhythm but am learning about leads in lessons right now (pentatonic scales at this point). I've wanted to pick up an electric; and many of the rock bands I really like involve the sound of someone playing a Rickenbacker 330 or 360. Obviously I need to spend some time playing one; but is there any reason I should be wary of a 330 as a first electric? Thanks.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: 330: any reason why it wouldn't be a good first electric?

Post by jimk »

Yes, you should be wary. Rickenbackers are quite addictive. In fact, you've actually stumbled onto the Rickenbacker Support Group. We encourage RAS (Rickenbacker Acquisition Syndrome) in all forum members. Resistance is futile. And you have been infected.

OK....all kidding aside; a Rick 330/6 is a fine guitar. I know you'll love it. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
JimK
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You can't go wrong, except that Ricks are so very addictive that you may prefer them to the exclusion of all other brands.

My advice: play a balanced diet. Buy a Rick as your first electric and try to play other brands, too, so that you can keep your perspective on why Ricks are so terrific!
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Although I've never had a 330 (I've only owned Rick solid-bodies), I think it would be a fine choice. I do think you should definitely try one before you buy it, though, since Ricks are not for everyone. Some people don't like the feel of the skinny Rick neck and the low frets. Others (like me and probably most others who hang around here) think they're pretty close to perfect. But you have to decide for yourself.

If you can, you also may want to try out some other models, such as a 360 or a solid-body 620. They aren't inherently better (or worse) than a 330 and have many similarities, but you may find one of them grabs you even more than a 330 does. (I wouldn't worry about the fact that the 330 doesn't have the RIck-o-Sound stereo jack -- it is kind of a cool feature but few actually use it).

While Ricks have a reputation among non-Rick players as being one-trick ponies, I think most (if not all) of the people here would agree that this is undeserved, and that they are much more versatile than people unfamiliar with them tend to think. And yes, you can play lead on a Rick! While a Rick probably wouldn't be a good first electric for a metalhead or would-be shredder, that doesn't sound like you.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome, Chris! I'm in Alexandria. I recommend the turquoise 360 that is for sale at Action Music in Falls Church. You can even take the orange line there... all about Metro myself :)

www.metrosongs.org
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

You should hang out with Jdog sometime, Chris. He was the first RRF member I've ever met, and he certainly a good fellow.

I'll echo what PW said and go for a new 330, but if you have other brands, go back to them every once in a while.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

jingle_jangle wrote:You can't go wrong, except that Ricks are so very addictive that you may prefer them to the exclusion of all other brands.

This is true ! :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:

You know you're going for that 330 --- the only question is what color ?
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

The 330 is a fabulous guitar. Great to play and beautifully built. Cool sonic range from jangle to snarl. Excellent value for money. Nothing to be wary of there!

My other prime candidate for a first electric would be a Telecaster as they're incredibly versatile (I've played both jazz and punk gigs with mine), made like a tank (you would need to run over one with a Hummer to make do serious structural damage), easy to set up, readily available and relatively inexpensive.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Welcome to the forum. I like where you are headed. The 330 (especially in FG) model is a great guitar to play. I use mine for lead all the time. The added bonus is that they are aesthetically pleasing to the eye and they generally hold their value well in the used market if you ever need to sell them (unless you pull a Pete Townshend on them of course). :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Post by bosco64 »

jdogric12 wrote:Welcome, Chris! I'm in Alexandria. I recommend the turquoise 360 that is for sale at Action Music in Falls Church. You can even take the orange line there... all about Metro myself :)

http://www.metrosongs.org
+1...I'm kinda surprised Matt still has that in the store, and it's priced to sell...
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
Kees

Post by Kees »

If you like the sound of them (as you obviously do), then you'll certainly love the feel of them.

You can't go wrong on a 330. I may even prefer my 330 a bit more over my 360's (soundwise).

Kees
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Have you been playing acoustic guitar for a long time?
If so, the Ric is a PERFECT choice for electric. You'll have an eye-catching guitar that responds in a way you're used to with your acoustics but can chime, cry, and grind in virtually any shade of electric tone you want.
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

All Rickenbackers are great guitars. They are not the least expensive guitar though. ( They are worth the money, well built, great resale etc...)

If you are considering your FIRST Electric guitar.. I'll second the idea of considering a Telecaster. Also great guitars. and currently there is a lot of buzz about the Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele.. that can be had for a few hundred bucks.. new! If money is an object at all.. you can't go wrong with a CV50 Tele.

I have a number of Teles.. ( including a CV50 ) and a couple of RICs ( 620/6 FG and a 330/12 JG ) . and I enjoy them all.

It's a bit of a slippery slope.. . If you find you like Electrics.. it's only a matter of time before you add to the collection!
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

funkapus wrote:... but is there any reason I should be wary of a 330 as a first electric? Thanks.
None whatsoever!!!!
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

I have to disagree with other members here and say no, a Rickenbacker anything may not be the best introduction into the world of electric guitar. However, there's no reason you shouldn't purchase one once you have become accustomed to or decide you like playing electric.

Of course, I wanted a 360 as my first electric, and once I got one after ten or so electrics, it wasn't my cup of tea, sadly. You might find it's not your thing, and you're more compatible with a Ric solidbody (600 series).

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”