5th knob Mode for Ric-o-Sound

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Medicus1963

5th knob Mode for Ric-o-Sound

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hello,
is it possible to Do the 5th knob Mod on a 1993plus with Ric-o-Sound output. Of course using only the Standard Output.
Thank you!

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 5th knob Mode for Ric-o-Sound

Post by jps »

Why do you need the 5th pot? You will achieve the exact same result by just turning the neck pickup volume down to where you want it to blend with the bridge pickup as the 5th pot is really just a second volume control in series with the main one for the neck pickup. It does cause/provide more loading down of the pickup which may or may not be what you are seeking. :wink:
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Jeffrey,
My intention is to use the 5th knob as asseverate volume knob for the middle pickup!
I think this makes sense, as the middle pickup is soldered parallel to the neck pickup and can not be used separately .
This is one thing i do not understand generally in Rickenbackers three pickup guitars .

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Okay, got it, now. I would think that you'd have to decide which of the two ROS outputs to tie the middle pickup to as you cannot choose that as an independent pickup choice with the pickup selector. Perhaps you can mod the wiring so that there is no mono out and use that jack for the middle pickup, then you could use three (!) amps for TriSound®.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

On the 3-pickup models I have, I've just switched to push/pull pots on the volume knobs to get independent switching of all pickup combinations.

Replace both volume pots with push/pulls and then run the neck pickup through the switch on the 'bass' volume and the middle through the switch on the 'treble' volume. You run the pickup leads directly to the switches (extend the wires) and then go from the switches back to the pickup selector. That puts it in front of all the RoS stuff so it works on anything.

If you have the selector in the middle position, you can pull the appropriate knob to kill either the neck or the middle such that the other combines with the bridge. In the 'up' position, you can kill either to get one by itself.

Everything still works the way it did, except that you have the ability to kill the middle if you want the 'normal 2-pickup' sound, or you can kill the neck if you just want the middle (with or without bridge).

Personally, I really like the sound from blending a little bit of middle with the bridge.

I took some photos when I did this a while back on a 340 and have been meaning to post them. It's a fairly simple and fully reversible mod.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Yes. Several years ago a fellow forumite started a thread on the RIC forum about using one push-pull on the 5th knob that retains all the stock functioning of the knobs and Ric-O-Sound, and I've sent my wiring diagrams literally all over the world. Would you like the 360 & 370 diagrams? Send me a PM and we'll go from there.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”