Inlays

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

k43rover
Intermediate Member

Re: Inlays

Post by k43rover »

collin wrote: I have my own production line for making the inlays. I've done a few fretboards now. :D

Nice work Collin! :D

I've attached a few of the work-in-progress shots for the latest PW project (including a "before" shot for those reading this who are unfamiliar with the original Pearl White UK only LE).

Miesque

Post by Miesque »

I own one of the ten original UK Pearl Whites and only have one query.Why didn't the original ten leave the factory like the classy photos above?
Way better look than the gold on white and oven knobs that are on mine. Will seriously consider going down the same route so the last man standing
with an original Pearl White will own a jewel in a collectors item.

I'll start the bidding at.......................
collin

Post by collin »

k43rover wrote:
Very nice - I've got a shot like that - both 60s (1965 and 1964) Rose Morris models, both sadly no longer with me. :(

k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

collin wrote: Very nice - I've got a shot like that - both 60s (1965 and 1964) Rose Morris models, both sadly no longer with me. :(

That is indeed very sad. I can't recall the story now, is the one at the bottom one that was originally built as a standard 1993 with dot inlays and had the triangles fitted at a later stage, or an original OS 360S/12 a la Townshend's?

BTW, isn't it nice to have a thread full of lovely F-holes again.... :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

k43rover wrote:
collin wrote: Very nice - I've got a shot like that - both 60s (1965 and 1964) Rose Morris models, both sadly no longer with me. :(
That is indeed very sad. I can't recall the story now, is the one at the bottom one that was originally built as a standard 1993 with dot inlays and had the triangles fitted at a later stage, or an original OS 360S/12 a la Townshend's?

The first scenario. It was a bog-standard early RM1993 (stubby TRC and trapeze tail) that had CP inlays installed back in the late 60s (using original inlays from another Rickenbacker, actually).

Lovely guitars though, and both of these beauties are now owned by friends and RRF forumites. My role was temporary caretaker! :P

I only know of two surviving original Townshend-spec 360S/12 models, neither of which belonged to Townshend. One of my favorite guitars and much more in common with a 360/12 OS than any Rose Morris model.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

collin wrote: I only know of two surviving original Townshend-spec 360S/12 models, neither of which belonged to Townshend. One of my favorite guitars and much more in common with a 360/12 OS than any Rose Morris model.
I cannot recall seeing a clear pic of the heel on Townshend's OS 360S/12 ; do you know whether it had the square heel of the early 12 strings (like Harrison's) or the curved heel as on the RoMo export 12 strings in '64/'65? It looks curved in the pic I posted above but I can't be certain.
collin

Post by collin »

k43rover wrote:
collin wrote: I only know of two surviving original Townshend-spec 360S/12 models, neither of which belonged to Townshend. One of my favorite guitars and much more in common with a 360/12 OS than any Rose Morris model.
I cannot recall seeing a clear pic of the heel on Townshend's OS 360S/12 ; do you know whether it had the square heel of the early 12 strings (like Harrison's) or the curved heel as on the RoMo export 12 strings in '64/'65? It looks curved in the pic I posted above but I can't be certain.

I have pics somewhere of the back of Townshend's guitar and also other surviving examples from the same batch. I'll try to dig them out.

They had square heels, like Harrison's 360. As fully "deluxe" models they also had dual-input ROS as well. Plus they all have the "sharper" headstock profile that Harrison's 360 has, funky-looking TRC and hexagon tuner bushings.

In other words -if a 360/12c63 had an F-hole, it would be dead-ringer for Townshend's. (Please, factory! :) )
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

collin wrote: I have pics somewhere of the back of Townshend's guitar and also other surviving examples from the same batch. I'll try to dig them out.

They had square heels, like Harrison's 360. As fully "deluxe" models they also had dual-input ROS as well. Plus they all have the "sharper" headstock profile that Harrison's 360 has, funky-looking TRC and hexagon tuner bushings.

In other words -if a 360/12c63 had an F-hole, it would be dead-ringer for Townshend's. (Please, factory! :) )
That's good; the PW used the C63 neck so it has the square heel. :D
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Beautiful guitars Eddie,congrats!

William does very nice work.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

jch wrote:Beautiful guitars Eddie,congrats!

William does very nice work.
Many thanks John. It's great that we have someone as experienced with Rickenbacker guitars as William to help us here in Europe. I've been consistently delighted with all the work he has done for me. :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”