Re-Painting my 350v63

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ram4

Re: Re-Painting my 350v63

Post by Ram4 »

Well played jps. I had a feeling someone would do that. :) But I still say they do not play better than most other guitars for lead - I didn't say you couldn't play lead on them. :wink:
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Ram4 wrote:I guess it simply comes down to money. It would cost a decent amount to refinish it properly, but I don't have the funds right now. In a year or so, the financial situation is going to change dramatically in my household so I suppose I could consider it at that time. The yellowing is not as hard to remove (I used Meguiars Swirl remover), but the green feels to be impossible to remove. At this point, I'll leave it alone. When I have the money to consider the refinish, I will do so. What a pain. Not only are these Ric's tough to set up right (the 12 string was setup and a few months later is no good again and has to be re-done), they don't play that great (for lead) and on top of that I have a finish issue on a high end guitar. I never had these problems with any other guitars.
Rich - I sent you a PM. I hadn't noticed you were in Chicago until I saw the setup comment and looked to see where you were. Chicago is a terrible place for guitars. With the seasonal humidity swings, it's rare to see any guitar hold a good (low) setup for an extended period of time. I humidify and have tried to dehumidify, but wood just changes with the swings we experience. Some pieces of wood change more than others. I just do a lot of truss rod tweaking. Someday I need to move somewhere habitable. :wink:
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Ric5150 wrote:
Ram4 wrote:I guess it simply comes down to money. It would cost a decent amount to refinish it properly, but I don't have the funds right now. In a year or so, the financial situation is going to change dramatically in my household so I suppose I could consider it at that time. The yellowing is not as hard to remove (I used Meguiars Swirl remover), but the green feels to be impossible to remove. At this point, I'll leave it alone. When I have the money to consider the refinish, I will do so. What a pain. Not only are these Ric's tough to set up right (the 12 string was setup and a few months later is no good again and has to be re-done), they don't play that great (for lead) and on top of that I have a finish issue on a high end guitar. I never had these problems with any other guitars.
Rich - I sent you a PM. I hadn't noticed you were in Chicago until I saw the setup comment and looked to see where you were. Chicago is a terrible place for guitars. With the seasonal humidity swings, it's rare to see any guitar hold a good (low) setup for an extended period of time. I humidify and have tried to dehumidify, but wood just changes with the swings we experience. Some pieces of wood change more than others. I just do a lot of truss rod tweaking. Someday I need to move somewhere habitable. :wink:
Humidity is a killer! I lived in Florida for 30 years and don't miss swimming through the air, as I call it. Here in Northern Virginia, there is typically a huge drop in humidity in the autumn, but since we live a stone's throw from a creek, our house is just right at about 40-50% year-round... very lucky.
Ram4

Post by Ram4 »

It makes more sense that having a low action setup would do that and why I am not used to it happening as when my 660/12's action was too high, it was never an issue as far as the strings touching the neck or buzzing because it was too low. That plus I prefer higher action for lead on my other guitars - I hate low action. I want to choke the string under the other ones. But low action seems to be perfect for a 660/12. I guess it's truss rod adjustment time.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”