650 walnut vs 650C (maple)

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

650 walnut vs 650C (maple)

Post by jdogric12 »

You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever played a 650C. D's and S's always leave me wanting more for some weird reason. On paper they should be great guitars... is it the walnut that's not giving me the bite I'm looking for? Anyone ever A/B a Colorado with, say, a Dakota? Sierra? Heck, Excalibur or Frisco for that matter? Curious to hear if the differences travel through the 1/4" cable... Thanks!

PS - ok, remembering that I have had a couple of 650A's back in the day, but I don't recall too well and never had an Atlantis and a D or S simultaneously to test out that I remember.
tcsmit29

Re: 650 walnut vs 650C (maple)

Post by tcsmit29 »

I have a 650A and a D. They both sound the same to me. Although, I must admit that I am one of the guys that doesn’t buy into the “tone wood” thing for electric guitars. My personal belief is that is a marketing tool, so that companies can charge us more money for the same thing. I’m not saying that it has zero effect, but I think it’s probably like 95% electronics/hands/skill, 5% wood.

I have recently “rediscovered” these guitars and I had forgot how awesome they are. My “go to” guitar for rock is usually my Les Paul. Recently I pulled the Atlantis out of storage and have been rocking hard on it. It does a really good job for Zeppelin and Rush songs that I play. I live in Tennessee, but I’m from Georgia. I go visit my family back in GA often on the weekends. I pulled my Dakota out of storage and leave it at my Dad’s house in case I want to play when I’m there. So, for the last few months, I’ve been playing both fairly regularly. The Atlantis feels a little better in my hands, but that could be because I play it a little more than the Dakota. Plus I’m a real sucker for that Turquoise!!

I wonder how many of the Excalibur and Frisco models were made? I hardly ever see them up for auction.
My Atlantis
My Atlantis
My Dakota, chilling out with my 4003s
My Dakota, chilling out with my 4003s
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

tcsmit29 wrote:I have a 650A

The Atlantis feels a little better in my hands, but that could be because I play it a little more than the Dakota. Plus I’m a real sucker for that Turquoise!!
So what you're saying is it will be very difficulut for me to convince you to sell the A to me? LOL :lol:
tcsmit29

Post by tcsmit29 »

jdogric12 wrote:So what you're saying is it will be very difficulut for me to convince you to sell the A to me? LOL :lol:
That's right! :mrgreen: I had to look around for about a year before I found my A. I paid $1700 for it which may be a little on the high side, but I wanted it really bad. By comparison, I got my Dakota for around $900. Interestingly enough, I have seen a turquoise Colorado on reverb. It was mislabeled as an Atlantis. But the whole body was painted, without the maple "stripe' that the A has. If Rickenbacker ever brings back turquoise as a color, I may get into serious trouble with the wife.
tcsmit29

Post by tcsmit29 »

I just checked, the turquoise C is still there:

https://reverb.com/item/2236652-rickenbacker-650

There was an A listed as well for $2300.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yeah that guy with the TUR C is deluded into thinking he has some kind of special custom guitar. I tried for it and gave up trying to communicate intelligently with him.
tcsmit29

Post by tcsmit29 »

Ah man, that's unfortunate. Sadly it is fairly common nowadays. Almost every auction says something along the lines of "rare". For heaven's sake people, they all can't be that rare! :shock: It's one of my pet peeves.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Update - don't feel too bad. I just paid slightly more for an Atlantis than you did LOL

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”