New to guitar.

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JFinelli81

New to guitar.

Post by JFinelli81 »

Hello, I made a post in the Bass section about why I have a Ric.

I just started a journey into playing guitar a few months ago and this week I bought my first Rickenbacker after about 28 years of wanting one. It sounds good and is really easy to play and learn on. I think I have a good set up here to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me to progress into this hobby?

opticnerve
Advanced Member

Re: New to guitar.

Post by opticnerve »

JFinelli81 wrote:Hello, I made a post in the Bass section about why I have a Ric.

I just started a journey into playing guitar a few months ago and this week I bought my first Rickenbacker after about 28 years of wanting one. It sounds good and is really easy to play and learn on. I think I have a good set up here to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me to progress into this hobby

Yes, have your savings account locked, lol. Rics are addictive! They should have a warning label on them!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Make sure it's always fun. Don't let it become a chore or else you're doing it wrong. Learn songs you like... none of that "Mary Had a Little Lamb" garbage that they make children learn on piano... that's why they hate it, duh! Ok rant over... congrats. What style of tunes do you want to be able to play? Maybe I can suggest a few that are on the easier side to get you started?
JFinelli81

Post by JFinelli81 »

I have been asked about what I like to play a few times and you're not going to like the answer. What I mean by that is I know this isn't the right guitar for that. I love Black Sabbath style Riffs. I think they are the pioneers of that dirty sounding Riff and palm muting early metal. The good news is they are pretty easy to learn. I'm going to get a pedal to be able to make some of that sound. eventually, When I'm more comfortable with playing, I will buy a really nice Les Paul for that heavier stuff.

Now, besides that, right now I want to be able to make clean sound and roll through exorcises. Meaning, Play through the scales and some chords and be able to connect those dots without playing one thing, then stopping, and playing something completely different. My head right now is in to learning the procedures and having an understanding of the fret board. I think this guitar feels and sounds perfect for learning on clean toned stuff.

I hope that made sense.
collin

Post by collin »

jdogric12 wrote: Learn songs you like... none of that "Mary Had a Little Lamb" garbage that they make children learn on piano... that's why they hate it, duh!

Hey, don't knock on my favorite song, man. :lol:

Congrats on the 330, Justin - it's a stunner. And yes, Ricks are addictive, you'll want one in every color. :D
JFinelli81

Post by JFinelli81 »

collin wrote:
jdogric12 wrote: Learn songs you like... none of that "Mary Had a Little Lamb" garbage that they make children learn on piano... that's why they hate it, duh!

Hey, don't knock on my favorite song, man. :lol:

. And yes, Ricks are addictive, you'll want one in every color. :D

I can see that for sure. I already want a 4001/4003 and If I was a good guitar player I'd buy a Jetglo 60's 325 or 335 right now!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Very cool! No hate here. It's a myth that Ricks are one trick ponies. Rock on!
JFinelli81

Post by JFinelli81 »

jdogric12 wrote:Very cool! No hate here. It's a myth that Ricks are one trick ponies. Rock on!

Yeah, I've been seeing Rick fans defending the Rick honor about that all over Youtube. It makes me want to use the Rick even more if people think it can't do it.
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

That's a beautiful combo...a Rick and a Vox!
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”