NGD: Jetglo 360/12

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Kyle

NGD: Jetglo 360/12

Post by Kyle »

Just picked this up for a decent price, although it does need some attention.

I’ve been watching for a Rick 12 string to use with the band and so I don’t need to take my Tom Petty sig out. This one came up pretty cheap, but it has some finish damage. It’s heavily checked, and worn in some places. There’s also a piece of binding around 6 inches missing by the tailpiece. The good news is it’s a solid instrument, and all the hardware is near on perfect.

Not sure what to do, whether to play it as it is and get some use out of it. But I’m also thinking that it might not take much to strip it and refinish it as a mapleglo, and sort the binding. If I was doing all this I’d also be tempted to change the trapezoid inlays for the larger inlays like the post-2008 360’s. Problem is I wouldn’t take this on myself, rather preferring to get it done properly which may end up being costly. I suppose seeking a few quotes would make my mind up.

https://i.imgur.com/FAxjntF.png
https://i.imgur.com/VEUpMmh.png
bvstudios

Re: NGD: Jetglo 360/12

Post by bvstudios »

If I recall from something John Hall said a couple of years back, the JetGlo finish is often used on bodies which for a variety of reasons just are not quite good enough to be used with a transparent or translucent finish.

Stripping the black off may reveal a less than scintillating surface which would need a lot of work to come up to factory standards for a clear finish.

Just a thought.

Of course, you could always go for a white re-fin.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: NGD: Jetglo 360/12

Post by jdogric12 »

Yeah, youd be better off just selling this to fund the MG you want.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”